Thread: Why no brown bear tag req'd in 20E?

Question Why no brown bear tag req'd in 20E?

...at least no tag is required for taking a brown bear in 20E outside the Yukon-Charley Rivers Nat'l Preserve.

is no tag required because the country is very remote and therefore hunting pressure is low enough that F&G does not want to bother tracking harvest? is it that brown bear numbers are high so F&G does not want to bother tracking harvest?

does anyone have any intel on this? reason i ask is i will be in that area in a couple weeks.

thanks

I am prety sure the reason no tag is needed is because of the high bear population. 20E is under predator control for Brown Bears.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default Trying to get bears harvested

Just to allow more bears to be harvested. Plus many people are out in the field hunting and refuse to buy a $25 tag therefore won't shoot a bear. By not having the tag fee, it allows hunters who may want to harvest a bear to do so without the tag. Just trying to keep it simple for folks to kill bears.

There are other areas that don't require a tag. I think northway nailed it, not having to buy a tag would allow a hunter to kill a brown/grizzly bear without having to go to the trouble of buying a tag.

...If they'd drop the non-res guide requirement in that area, I'd try to do my part to help control the bear population...

That won't happen mdhunter, the guides would put a squash on that real quick.

I know dude...I'll just root for you guys to get some, I'm jonesing for moose backstrap and we just finished the last of the moose I shot in 2006. I'm coming up in September, gotta replenish the freezer!

AND two bears every regulatory year....with only 40 days of closed season.....get em!

Smile

...sounds like i may get into a few bears. thanks to all for the input!

Default Berto...

...you're probably aware of it, but just wanted to add that you still have to have the grizzly sealed at ADFG office after harvesting. F&G certainly does want to track all harvests.

I like the rule but it sure sounds funny when the AK res are "too bothered" to pickup a 25$ tag when there are perfectly capable non-res willing to fork out thousands of dollars (or for sure the 500$ non-res fee)........who would also have to be bothered with getting plane tickets and logistics figured out.

Most of the older residents have a bear rug or two and don't want to pay the price for another.....some don't want to bother skinning a bear nor do they want it in the freezer.......not to mention the cost of getting in to that area and flying a bear hide out etc.....

The real rason no tag is required is to encourage taking of non primary species by hunters in the area. Perhaps a moose or bou hunter spots a Griz this is an easy way to encourage them to go ahead and take the shot. Encouraging oportunistic harvest is probably not a bad idea if reducing bear #'s is the goal.

yes, i am aware if i connect i must have the hide and skull sealed in Tok, but thanks for making sure i was aware of the requirement...i have never turned the eyes, ears, or nose on a hide so i will have to talk to a taxi friend of mine and get a verbal description in case i connect.

i shudder at the thought of the fuel surcharge i am going to pay for this flight, but i only live once so i am going regardless of that added cost.

Default Berto...one more thing

Berto, at the last Board of Game meeting in March the sealing requirements for grizzly bears taken out of 20E bear-control area were changed so that fly-in hunters or others who were going to return via Fairbanks could seal their bear there and not have to drive all the way back to Tok.

I am not sure when the change actually goes into effect. You might call ADFG and check if you're going to be returning to someplace other than Tok. You might also get ahold of Craig Gardner, ADFG bio out of Fairbanks...he had a fantastic presentation at the BOG meeting regarding his research on grizzly densities in 20E with a lot of graphs that showed where the bears were and how hardly any bears were using the widespread burned areas there. Not sure where you're flying into...but I'm sure Craig would be willing to share some info with you.
    Good luck,