Thread: Goat Hunting

Default Goat Hunting

What are the odds of hunting and harvesting a goat in October with a registration permit from the road system (walking)? I started some homework lastnight, but haven't come up with much. Anybody with any luck getting a goat in the last two years? I don't have the resources to hunt Juneau, but I can travel to Seward or Valdez. Thanks
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

Default Goat registration odds

Slim. Last year ADFG didn't even open any road accessible units for registration goat. And very few opportunities in the last few years before that. I think the last time I was able to do a quality walk-in goat hunt was in 2002 near Victor Creek. It was archery only. If they do open any, you need to get your tag before the season starts and be on your goat opening morning. Quotas usually get filled the first day or two.

Registration goat hunts have been non-existent. I think I got a permit in '04 and nothing since. I would plan to do something else in Oct/Nov, maybe a deer hunt? I agree with the previous poster; IF they offer permits it will close after the first weekend.

Tim

Didn't know it was that bad. Hopefully, something works out.

Read the regs there are still some registration goat hunts in 13 and 14.

Default Reg. Goat

akdd, you are right. I was thinking specifically Kenai Peninsula. I still think you'd be hard pressed to get a walk-in goat in 14A based on where the goats usually are. I've never hunted that area in 13D so don't know about that. At least the opportunity is there and anymore that's about all we can ask for.

Thanks guys, I'll look into the 13 and 14 registration hunts.

Unless the game resgs changed,it's NOV 15 for reg. goats.....i wish it would go back to OCT

Quote Originally Posted by sheep man View Post
    Unless the game resgs changed,it's NOV 15 for reg. goats.....i wish it would go back to OCT
    I was planning on a Sheep/Goat combo hunt in 14 A last year. The Goat registration permit was from 1 Sep- 31 Oct. By 12 Sep the goat hunt was closed by E/O. 13 Sep I scraped the whole idea and went moose hunting.

The ans to your question is: "tuff". Very tuff. I wish you well. J.

Default Rg866

I'm going to try to get this permit. Hopefully, it won't be closed by EO! Anybody done this hunt and was successful? If the hunt is closed I think I'll go hiking in the area and take some pics! It ought to be fun either way. Thanks

Default Goat from road

Check out DG 334. It's pretty accessible from the road and there are usually permits left over from the Drawing and you can register for the hunt later. There is easy access in Turnagain Pass directly behind the outhouses with goats a easy days hike away. Plan on spending the night though. And don't take the winter trail, it peters out a mile or so back and turns to bad brush. Hike the ridge back that is on the left as you look towards the mountain. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by harrythehat View Post
    Check out DG 334. It's pretty accessible from the road and there are usually permits left over from the Drawing and you can register for the hunt later.
    That' an awesome area as far as access goes, but for the past couple of years F&G haven't been issuing much in the way of registration permits for unit 7. In fact, if memory serves they haven't offered anything for the registration season that is road accessible in the past two years.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default Dg866

I drew this tag...season runs from sept 1 to oct 31. There were 12 tags issued. I believe that when the new regs come out there won't be a registration hunt for the area during those times.

Default 6D

Unit 6D has two areas that you can walk into. One North of the Richardson and one over near the terminal. There are two-three that are easily reachable by boat.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default goat hunt

I have walked in and shot goats in 14A. It sucks for a couple hours walking, then gets better. Very doable hunt.

Guys, thanks for all the posts so far. I found out Wednesday, that I will be moving back to Alaska in October. My family and I are so happy. Just looking at a decent place to hunt before old man winter really gets there. I will be doing my Air National Guard duty on Eielson AFB. I was there from 2002-2006 doing my active duty tour. I appreciate all the help. Thanks again.

Default Easy Access

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    That' an awesome area as far as access goes, but for the past couple of years F&G haven't been issuing much in the way of registration permits for unit 7. In fact, if memory serves they haven't offered anything for the registration season that is road accessible in the past two years.
    Your right Brian. I should of checked the regs, there isn't even a drawing hunt there this year. The last time I hunted this area was 4 years ago.