Thread: .338 Wm

Default .338 Wm

To all forum members:

As a general question, and I say this from lack of experience, how would you rate the .338 Winchester Magnum Cartridge on all game (including the Alaskan Brown Bear and as a long range cartridge for sheep)?

Thanks,

Joe

The 338 win mag would be my choice for big bear and with a lighter bullet it would work wonders on far off sheep!

For a single Alaskan caliber, the 338 WM is widely considered as one of the best. Some prefer other calibers, but the 338 has been used very successfully on all Alaskan game. I typically prefer something a little lighter for sheep (7mm), but if I could only own one gun for Alaska, the 338 would be it.

Thumbs up

Nothing short of excellent, especially if you like the particular rifle it is chambered in (length, weight etc.) and you can shoot it confindently and accurately.

338 Win Mag is excellent for a use on any animal that Alaska offers. The 338 Win is the what I took my Dall Sheep with..

One word, EXCELLENT! Even with all the hype over the Ultramag and the new 338 Ruger, the faithful 338 Win Mag is all you need!

I carry mine for everything from the time the bears leave the den to the time they go back in.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

I see it as an excellent all around caliber for Alaskan hunting. I use 225 grain X-bullets for all my hunting. They offer excellent penetration and a reasonable trajectory. The main reason I favor the 338 WM is because I can hunt everything with one bullet and one load. I don't need to carry one bullet weight for hunting blacktails and another for hunting brownies. One load does it all...

Default Oh yeah..............

I think I read my first Elmer Keith .338 article in 1962 and shot my first .338 Win. Mag. in 1966. I bought my own .338 in 1975. I believe it is at it's best with a good 250 grain bullet at about 2750 MV and animals well over 500 lbs. For stuff smaller then that it is not needed but might be wanted for a motivated 350 lb. grizzly. I use it for all my moose, caribou, deer and bear hunting. For me it is the all around Alaskan caliber.

I have owned a couple and it is a great round. My first big game rifle was a Ruger M77 in 338 win mag. I wanted a 340 but my dad got me the 338. Shot my first moose with it when I was 15. Shot two deer, two moose and a sheep with the 338.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".