Thread: XM radio

Default XM radio

Has anyone tried to use XM radio here in Alaska, I was wondering what kind of coverage anyone received. Thanks

Terry

Default My truck

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Has anyone tried to use XM radio here in Alaska, I was wondering what kind of coverage anyone received. Thanks

Terry
    Came equipped with it and it does not work. the XM techies said that the only satelite this far north is for canada and it is not FCC licensed. Go figure

sirius in my truck also a no go

Satellite radio died out at Whitehorse on the drive up here. My year free subsription on my truck is useless. At least it worked to Whitehorse.

I listened to XM while flying with 40 Mile Air out of Tok. They said that they use it all the time. The pilot said that he had to use a different billing address. I believe he said that he can only can it at altitude. You could call them and ask. Talk to Leif.

Steve

While Alaska is not part of the operational zone for XM or Sirius there is a certain bleed over factor.

It is not unheard of to receive the satellite signal in Anchorage.

XM and Sirius are in merger talks now. (passed by Justice Dept) and awaiting approval from the FCC.

It is believed that if the merger is allowed we Alaskans will benefit in the future. If there is one state in the union that needs satellite radio it would be Alaska.

Keep your fingers crossed!

and yes...I am a Sirius stockholder

XM and Sirius work well in Southeast, but that is the only part of the State that gets good reception.

Default I loved it

We had Sirius when we were on vacation in flordia in march. I just loved it. I would buy it for sure if we get it up here
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I had my xm on flawlessly in my cub from Mn to Fairbanks. After that it depended on where I put the antennae or how high I flew. Basically, if you have a real clear sky view to the south (ie no mountains) you will get xm signal. I have heard that Sirus's satelite is stationed higher than xm's and should work a little better in AK.
    I didn't activate the xm on my 496 until in Canada on my way home and it worked fine. I didn't activate the xm weather until a few weeks ago when I started spraying. XM Weather is AWSOME and I see they now have Canadian nexrad coverage.
    Does anyone know if xm weather works in AK?

Quote Originally Posted by goosepilot View Post
    Does anyone know if xm weather works in AK?
    Not as of two months ago...that is, the weather products do not have Alaska coverage, even if you can get the XM signal.