Thread: Need some insight please.

Default Need some insight please.

I will be making my first trip to the POW, Klawock, next week and was hoping to get some fishing tips. Can you guys tell me what the best fishing will be, fresh or saltwater? From talking with some people it apears freshwater will be my best bet. What can I expect to catch, what tackle to use, and where should I go? Again this is my first trip so I have very little knowledge (more like none) when it comes to fishing in AK so any help you might have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for the help.

Default Data dash...

The best way to get the information you seek (unless a local chides in) is to go to the fishing areas on this website and read the general information about this destination.

The description will also contain specific local URL's that you can click into to get information relative to your wants and needs.

The data is already there and this is one of the ways to get it in real time...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Thanks for the info, it did help. It appears that the best fishing around the POW is for rainbow, cutthroat, steelhead, kings, and kokanee (which I've never even heard of). How do you catch these fish? Lakes or streams? Boats or off the shore? Tackle? Like I said I've never fished in AK so sorry if these appear to be "silly" questions. Thanks for the help.

Red face Klawock Fishing

Fishing is starting to heat up here right now. A few rainbows can be had (a steelhead or two if your lucky) in the Klawock or Thorne Rivers. Small silver spinners/spoons or flies that immitate smolt should work. Lots of dollies. The Thorne will be a fish on every cast any time now. We caught our first keeper King (25lbs. or so) of the year last weekend out in the boat. Caught a 65lb. Halibut the week before that. Kings/ Halibut will both only get better. If you really want to catch a fish hit the river. The ocean will be a bit slow for a while unless you get lucky. If you have a friend with a boat or some cash to throw around the ocean is fun. Chance at a big fish and always otters, seal, whales, etc.. around.

Thanks for the reply. We leave Sunday, can hardly wait.

Fish the lakes where the rivers flow in, cast smolt patterns or castmasters and retrieve quickly.
    Thorn river with a dry fly for cuts is awesome! If you have a vehicle drive out to luck lake. Lots of nice fish at the creek mouth (when I was there eight years ago in late may).