Thread: 12ga or 20ga

Question 12ga or 20ga

I have a 12 ga Rem 1100 slug gun and a 20 ga 870 slug gun. I'm going to bring one for bear protection and as a backup if my rifle scoope gets "bumped". I'm hunting over bait so distance wise it would be ok. I'd rather carry the 20 ga.( shorter lighter quicker). Both are scoped. Anybody have any thoughts on 20 vs 12. the 20 still makes a big hole, not a lot of difference in veloicity. 12 is 1/8 heavier.
    Thoughts???

Default Neither

Just have the rifle sighted in with the open sights and the scope. Then if the scope gets bumped you have the open as a back up. You are hunting over bait, shots are short, good open sights are easily good well past 100 yards.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

In my opinion the 12 is a marginal solution, the 20 is not an option.

Default 12

take the 12 gauge. Ive shot 2 bear with a 12 gauge, 1 black and 1 grizzly. the black i shot with a slug, the grizzly was wounded with a rifle and i went in after it with 000 buckshot. I have heard many times since that buckshot wont penetrate well enough.... well i guess this bear didnt know that because one shot at 15 yards was all i needed 4 pellets entered the brain. I run a fishing lodge and always have a 12 gauge handy.

Default forget velocity

Forget velocity, look at muzzle energy, energy at 25 yards, and 50. Bring the 12. Its a pound heavier; big fat hairy deal. If I spook a griz on the way into a bait station, I'd be a lot happier holding a 12 than a 20 gauge. I'm not sure I like plowing such a big hole through something I want to eat, like a black bear, so I prefer rifle, but I'd rather have most of a dead bear to eat than none of a wounded bear. As a backup gun the 12 ga is a great choice. Just remember- bear hunting is a hunt for dangerous game. You can become the hunted in a split second!

http://www.hitech-inc.com/cam/core20.txt
    http://www.hitech-inc.com/cam/core12.txt

12 ga. Muzzle energy at 0 yards 3086, 20 ga 2084. At 50 yards, its 2667 vs 1767. 1000 lb angry animal coming at you at 35 mph. Which gun would you rather be holding? Oh, and trust me here- you won't know that the 12 ga had more recoil at this point! (granted, there's less than a 1 in a thousand chance of this scenario unfolding, but do you want to take that chance over a mere pound in weight?)

Thanks to all.---- I'll bring the twelve. It also has the advantage of quicker second shot if needed. I value opinions of people who have "been there done that"

I would be more leary of an auto vs a pump gun - pump guns shoot every time - auto's don't.

I would rather put 2084 ft pounds of energy into a girzly bar than ZERO

Take which ever one you want. If you use slugs get a high quality Brenekke or similiar. Not the hollow core soft lead ones.

You need a rifled barrel to shoot sabot slugs so those are out of the question anyways.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

You need a rifled barrel to shoot sabot slugs so those are out of the question anyways.[/quote]

Both are slug barrels , rifled and scoped. The 1100 has always been dependable for me. The 12 ga.-- barrel is 20.5 inches, wt w scopoe 9bl 10 oz . ---- 20ga 18 " barrel , 8.25 lb and 4 inches shorter overall. I'd use 3" magnum in either. Beneke is my shell in the 12 They shoot truer than most anything I've tried. The twenty is newer and I haven't gone through all the brands yet to see what shoots best. (Costly trial and error) It's funny how the "best" shells are not always the ones that shoot the best. I had some high end sabots for the twelve that would shoot real thight for three or four shots and then send a real flyer.(off by feet not inches) Not a good option when your trying to depend on a shot to down a deer.