Thread: guns on the trapline

Question guns on the trapline

I'm wondering what a good pistol/rifle combination would be for my marten line for the winter of '08. I am trying to steer away from scopes for ease of portability. What calibers would be best?

Default trapline gun

.22 LR for a pistol and .22 mag. for a rifle.

bullshop junior

Ruger single six. And a good 22 mag rifle. savage.
    BIC/Daniel/BS Jr.

I carry a Marlin .22WMR semi-auto with a Bushnell .22mag scope, works great.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

22 pistol for critters that may be alive in a trap and ptarmigan, and a 22-250 for those incidental fox, wolves, woverines, lynx, etc that a feller can see running around.

I used to carry a .22 revolver + either a scoped 30-06 or (later on) a peep sighted 6.5x55 w/ 21" barrel for the odd wolf or coyote. For the incidental stuff I don't think the rifle caliber matters too much. Exceptions might be if you expected to see alot of fox or birds. In that case, smaller calibers such as the .22 WMR are good choices.

If I was trapping this winter, and money was no object, I would STILL probably carry either the 30-06 or the same 6.5x55.

Yk

Default Trap line gun

Many years ago when trapping out of King Salmon, I carried a Savage model 24C, 22 over 20 guage. It broke down and fit in my pack real easy. This gun took lots of birds, some rabbits and a few fox. It may not have always been handy but the calibers were right. Since that time I have had the 22 enlarged to 22mag and it makes a right fine fox gun for short range work.

AKBearcat- I had the same Savage (.22/20ga) at one time, very nice gun, but weighs a ton! Wished I still had it.

I'd picked-up a Heritage Arms .22 6" barrel, came with the mag cylinder too....all in the box (used) for $60 at a local gun shop. Made a great inexpensive trapline pistol. I also kept a .22 rifle cased on the 4-wheeler. Largest critter I trapped was coyote.

I was given my grandfathers coonhunting pistol, which I believe to be a model #35 (?), it is a .22LR J Stevens with a 12" barrel. I carried it once on my trapline (nostalgia reasons) and dispatched a few coon with it......I'm sure grandpa was smilin'

Default savage 24c

I have one of the older savage 24c 22 lr over a 20 gauge, has the trapdoor in the buttstock for extra ammo or a survival kit. It has the shorter barrels so I think it was meant to be a survival rifle so it's nice and compact so it easily straps to the snogo and really comes in handy when you have a live one in the trap or just want to add a rabbit or ptarmigan to the pot for some fresh meat.