Thread: Desert Eagle!

Default Desert Eagle!

I just bought a .44 Desert Eagle. I've wanted one for years and now (thanks to the rebate check) I have one. I know they're totally useless for anything much more than eye candy in the movies, but I like it none the less. Does anybody else have one? Has anyone tried to use it for hiking or hunting in Alaska? I'd be interested in hearing "positive" comments.

Default D E

Quote Originally Posted by alaskaman444 View Post
    I just bought a .44 Desert Eagle. I've wanted one for years and now (thanks to the rebate check) I have one. I know they're totally useless for anything much more than eye candy in the movies, but I like it none the less. Does anybody else have one? Has anyone tried to use it for hiking or hunting in Alaska? I'd be interested in hearing "positive" comments.
    Did you get the gold one with mother of pearl grips ? Those really used to draw a lot of attention in the display case. They're quality firearms, a bit choosy about the ammo they like( some ammo will not function the slide) they used to include an ammo list,and they caution not to shoot lead bullets. It will do pretty much anything anyone elses 44 mag will do.It is pretty heavy and blocky, but recoil isn't that bad and you can purchase different barrels for hunting, lots of options there. They are pretty accurate.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I have a .40 S&W Baby Eagle. Sweet shootin gun, never had a lick of trouble with it. The slide takes a little effort to opperate and wouldn't recommend it to the average gal for defense.

Have fun with yer new toy.

Default Desert Eagle

The Desert Eagle is a well made and accurate firearm. I had an early one for years when I lived down below. That being said, it has some limitations. Lead bullets aren't recommended because the lead build-up clogs the gas port and the gun won't function properly. They are a pain to clean. Also, this is a design put into production when the heavy bullet for .44 mag was 240 grain. I had used the 265 grain jacketed bullets meant for the .444 Marlin and I would recommend that for bear loads if you reload. But the factory recommends 180 to 240 grain bullets as heavier bullets put more stress on the firearm. They are HEAVY guns, which is actually why I let mine go, along with the fact that I could use the then new heavier bullets to greater advantage in a revolver, like a SBH. The Baby Eagle is a totally different action.