Thread: Egg loops?

Default Egg loops?

Any tricks for keeping hooks on an egg loop to face the opposite directions?

I dont seem to have any trouble with lighter lines but I am tying 50 pound mono on 6/0 hooks and it seems that no matter which way I start the hooks they end up lining up after I tighten them.

It is hard enough keeping them tight enough to not unravel but I would like to do something about hook position too.

Thanks in advance.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Thats so funny you asked. Two nights ago, I had 50lb fluo and I was practicing on a 6/0 hook.
    I just could not wrap the leader around the shank!

After about 1hour of practicing though, I tried something new and it seemed to work pretty well. Instead of doing a standard egg loop, I just tied the standard 'hangman noose'.

I tied a noose and sort of modified it at the end so that if Im fighting a fish, it doesnt pull loose. I tested it by hooking the hook the leg of a chair, sitting on the chair, and pulling upwards with all my might. It was always the leader that popped, not the knot.

The only thing I was worried about is that with the 'hangman noose', there is a lot of leader all over the shank of the hook so I was wondering if that would turn the fish away.

I did some 5/0 with 50lb maxima big game. The knots came out good and at least most of the hooks were facing different directions.

I am now using Berkely Big game and it is a pain in the arse. I finally figured out that a much tighter wrap is needed but nearly every hook faces the same direction no matter what I try for a start position.

I have been a ceiling grid installer for a few years and my hands are used to tying 12 guage wire. So wrapping the mono is pretty easy. If only I could get the hooks in the right position.

Why the hell are you using 50lbs line anyway???????????????

25lbs main line, 18lbs for leader line.......

I will try to make a quick video of how I do my "egg loops" and will post here. Give me a couple days.

Do the video with 50 lb Berkely big game and 6/0 hooks, please.

These are king salmon rigs.

I got an order for spin-n-glow rigs with 50 lb line and 6/0 hooks. So that is what I will make.

------------

I am going to be trying 40 pound maxima Chameleon myself this year.

Made my own little video of 40 lb maxima chameleon with 6/0 hooks. That is an easy combination. Just takes a forever and a day for the video to download to a shareable server.

I used 30 lb mono leaders a couple years ago and they just snap on my hookset and if do an easy hookset the fish gets away.

65 pound main line and still searching for the perfect leader.

The rod is a Lamiglas Kenia special so the drag is set to the rod and not to the line.

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    Any tricks for keeping hooks on an egg loop to face the opposite directions?
    Tie a Nushagak knot to snell your double hook rigs.

The rear hook is not really tied, but simply looped on. If the hook points don't end up 180 degrees apart, simply slip the back hook off and loop it thru the other way. VOILA!

http://www.ifish.net/board/showpost....4&postcount=20
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Tie a Nushagak knot to snell your double hook rigs.

The rear hook is not really tied, but simply looped on. If the hook points don't end up 180 degrees apart, simply slip the back hook off and loop it thru the other way. VOILA!

http://www.ifish.net/board/showpost....4&postcount=20

I will try those. Thanks a bunch.

I just tied one of those Nushigak Knots. It is a beautiful thing. Thanks again.

Like I said the thinner mono is no prob but the heavy stuff is a pain.

Here is my amature vid of me tying the double hook with 40# maxima and a 6/0 hook. It is 1:25 in length. HaHa. I almost dropped the camera. A 72 inch piece of line makes a 50 inch leader.
    Last edited by RMiller; 05-07-2008 at 01:44. Reason: update on knot

Default Good example

I will try those. Thanks a bunch.

I just tied one of those Nushigak Knots. It is a beautiful thing. Thanks again.

Like I said the thinner mono is no prob but the heavy stuff is a pain.

Here is my amature vid of me tying the double hook with 40# maxima and a 6/0 hook. It is 1:25 in length. HaHa. I almost dropped the camera. A 72 inch piece of line makes a 50 inch leader.
    Nothing wrong with your example video. I have used that method for years. However, I am totally sold on the Nush knot. There is also a great tutorial in the Alaska Fish mag this month.

One think I might add, and this is a very crucial point is to lubricate your knot. As you cinch the knot down, it will generate enough friction and heat to weaken the line and the knot. Water or spit (kinda gross if you are going to share your work) work just fine.

Yes I lube my rigs too. I usually dunk them in the water at the river.

I like that I can slip the hook on the loop during the tying process or put it on after. I may do a couple rigs myself with a treble on the back. I think it would be a good thing to try on the kids rods. The treble can grab and the single can dig deep.

Here is one for me, I mean the kids, to try.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Do the video with 50 lb Berkely big game and 6/0 hooks, please.

These are king salmon rigs.

I got an order for spin-n-glow rigs with 50 lb line and 6/0 hooks. So that is what I will make.

------------

I am going to be trying 40 pound maxima Chameleon myself this year.

Made my own little video of 40 lb maxima chameleon with 6/0 hooks. That is an easy combination. Just takes a forever and a day for the video to download to a shareable server.

I used 30 lb mono leaders a couple years ago and they just snap on my hookset and if do an easy hookset the fish gets away.

65 pound main line and still searching for the perfect leader.

The rod is a Lamiglas Kenia special so the drag is set to the rod and not to the line.
    I'm not going to go out and buy the matirial for a demo. I have used 25lb main line and 18lb leader line on Lamiglass Kenia special rods for ever on Kings and have not had the problems you are talking about.

For silvers and reds I drop down to 18lb main line and a 10 to 12lb leader. Some times with the same rod sometimes another custom built lighter rod built out of a St. Croix blank.

That Nushigak knot looks to be you solution for heavy line.

The light line is easy to tie with.

I do think the Nu knot is what I need for those heavy leaders.

I will be using this knot this year so I will quickly know how well it works. I am sure it will work great considering the guys who recommend it. Thanks again guys.

--------

My dad uses 17 pound test for kings so every once in a while I will catch one on the light stuff.

I release a lot of Kings and prefer to get them in as quick as possible for a quick release.

I use the same rod for all the salmon as I do for kings. For silvers I dont use a leader since I use spinners.