Thread: Big trout lakes?

Default Big trout lakes?

Are there any big trout in Matanuska lake and Knik lake?

I remeber the first maps I saw for these lakes said that these lakes are known for 5+ pound trout.

I have seen a 5 pound trout come from Matanuska lake about 20 years ago I was wondering if there are any still there.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Caught some 8" trout and one nice Artic Char at Matanuska lake on Saturday. Talked to some others and they only caught small trout as well. First time I ever fished here so not much help.

brady kepler has nice sized trout in it,ny fovorite lake is a small lake but has 12"-16" grayling and a few trout in the 20" range but you need a small boat is canoe lake by the fair grounds. i have also caught decent sized trout in beach lake largest was 29" most are in the 12"-16" unless they stocked it recently. later in the year there is bonney lake has nice trout but it is a mountain lake and takes a long time to thaw out. hope this helps.jeff

Default Mat. Lake

I was there the other day, and yes there are BIG bows and artcic char in there.

Is that canoe lake behind Kepler Bradly?

When you mention "by the fair grounds" I was think Meiers Lake on springer loop outer.

If it Canoe lake in the Kepler Bradley complex then ity is near another lake that had/has? huge rainbows in it. Irene lake. Just beware at Irene lake the last time I was there 4 years ago some people were shooting at me with there slings shots from the houses on the hill. I had my 3 year old in the boat with me so I could not leave his side. I did call the troopers but had no way of giving them an address.

Yes Matanuska lake has several BIG trout. They are elusive but trolling has yeilded several monsters for me. Most of the big ones are in the 23 to 29 inch range and between 3.4 and 5.5 lbs. Necer caught a big one from the shore though.

Quote Originally Posted by The Greg View Post
    Yes Matanuska lake has several BIG trout. They are elusive but trolling has yeilded several monsters for me. Most of the big ones are in the 23 to 29 inch range and between 3.4 and 5.5 lbs. Necer caught a big one from the shore though.
    Same deal for Seymore and Visnaw Lakes near Rainbow. You need a small boat to go out to the deeper holes in the lakes. Lots of big ones in both of these lakes, and they are virtually untouched. Fishing buddy caught one that was 34 inches in Seymore, last fall. Suprisingly, they are not bad eating. Not as good as river caught rainbows though.

rmiller' sounds like the same lake.sorry you had problems. never had a problem there, but have caught some large grayling from there. not even sure names of streets found it years ago fishing from shore. next time i was there brought a small boat and killed both grayling and trout(16-20") fish were heavier than tangle lake fish same size.excellent fly fishing under the power lines. seen 2 black bears there last fall. sorry to hear about problems. good luck fishing. those large trout are excellent smoked with apple chips.favorite jerky.jeff

Smoked with apple chips.

That sounds good.

I saw people putting boats in Finger Lake on Sunday. How's the fishing on that lake? There was open water on the east end of the lake.

Oh yeah, I was at Matanuska Lake on Tuesday and it is completely ice free.