Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Wolf ammo misfire

  1. #1

    Default Wolf ammo misfire

    Just found this forum, looks like it is going to be a fun site to visit.

    I've been shooting 7.62x39 steel case FMJ Wolf ammo. Not many good deals on ammo in Sitka, so I am stuck with Wolf for $5.95 or Remington at $26/box. I'll save the $26 stuff for the meaty targets. Seems like about once every couple boxes I get a primer that doesn't go off. The firing pin is hitting it leaving a dimple, but no bang. Probably shouldn't be doing this, but if I chamber the round a second time it fires. The gun shop guy blames it on the cheap "Russian crap" ammo. I have seen a lot of complaints about wolf, but nothing quite like my problem. Bolt and pin are clean, receiver in really good condition but could it be something with the gun?

  2. #2

    Default GUN

    Quote Originally Posted by spawnedsalmon View Post
    Just found this forum, looks like it is going to be a fun site to visit.

    I've been shooting 7.62x39 steel case FMJ Wolf ammo. Not many good deals on ammo in Sitka, so I am stuck with Wolf for $5.95 or Remington at $26/box. I'll save the $26 stuff for the meaty targets. Seems like about once every couple boxes I get a primer that doesn't go off. The firing pin is hitting it leaving a dimple, but no bang. Probably shouldn't be doing this, but if I chamber the round a second time it fires. The gun shop guy blames it on the cheap "Russian crap" ammo. I have seen a lot of complaints about wolf, but nothing quite like my problem. Bolt and pin are clean, receiver in really good condition but could it be something with the gun?
    What type of rifle are you shooting this ammo in?
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

    On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

  3. #3

    Default

    sorry. mini-30

  4. #4

    Default Primers might be the problem

    Wolf ammo uses pretty hard primers, which may be the problem. There is nothing wrong with reusing the round, won't hurt a thing.

  5. #5
    Member AKPacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    There is nothing wrong with reusing the round, won't hurt a thing.
    Yup, I do this quite often with cheapo .22LR ammo, just let it sit in the chamber for a bit to make sure its not a slow cookoff, then rechamber and fire.
    Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKPacker View Post
    Yup, I do this quite often with cheapo .22LR ammo, just let it sit in the chamber for a bit to make sure its not a slow cookoff, then rechamber and fire.
    What is a "bit"? I'm worried when I pull back the slide if it ejects and hits the concrete or the bench it might go off. Something not right about a primer with a dimple in it and no bang... How close are these things to going off? I know you can do just about anything to a round and it won't explode.. does this change after the pin hit it?

  7. #7
    Member AKPacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    47

    Default

    I let them sit for 15-20 seconds or so. I've never actually had a slow cookoff so I'm probably being a bit paranoid, but I have heard of them happening. Your ammo does not become more dangerous with a light strike on the primer, it still requires a sharp impact in just the right spot to go off, you'd have to be trying pretty hard to get one to go off outside of a gun.
    Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.

  8. #8
    Member GrassLakeRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Grass Lake Michigan
    Posts
    1,978

    Default

    I had that happen once in my NHM-91 (Norinco type 56 rpk clone). After 2 minutes, I ejected it out looked, yes a small dimple, put it back in and it worked the second time.

    Ron

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NW Washington
    Posts
    22

    Default

    I had the same issue with their .223 ammo

  10. #10
    New member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Peter's Creek
    Posts
    1

    Default

    I experienced mis-fire on their 7.62x39, also. Guess we got less than we paid for, eh?
    Trailblazer

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •