Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .375 Weatherby Is Finished

Default .375 Weatherby Is Finished

Well, my 375 Weatherby Magnum is finished and is being shipped today and I should receive it Thrusday or Friday. Here are the specs and a picture of the reticle along with a picture of the rifle from my gun smith.

It is a Mark V receiver with a 25" #3 Shilen barrel with a Banzer brake to match my 300Wby. The barrel is freefloated, tuned trigger, B&C Metalist Stock, Talley bases and rings, Zeiss Conquest Rapid-Z 3-9x40mm

Rapid-Z reticle

Next week is shooting time. Will be working with 300gr TSX and 93grs H4831sc as the main effort but will also be trying H4350 and IMR4350. Like always the range work is work but it sure is fun work. Sometimes it comes quick and sometimes it will take a while of trial and error, but what a way to spend time. First part of next week will post group and chrono results.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Nice rig

Bravo! What a beauty!
    By the way, don't lay it on the ground like that, you might never find it again! Great Camo...
    Mark
    Last edited by snowshooze; 05-06-2008 at 20:37. Reason: Forgot something...

I am looking forward to see how well it shoots. I am going to have to have mine cut down from the breech end to get rid of the long throat.

I have a Meopta Artemis 2x8x42mm in Talley mounts with the #4B reticle on my ZKK-602.

Incredible clarity and resolution. The reticle is based on 0.5m, a good dimension for ranging game animals.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Thumbs up WOW!

Very nice beartooth! I am envious! If you get it in time let me know, I am headed to birchwood range this weekend to sight in the new Tikka t3 lite in the .300 .... I am still thinking about the wthby .300 mark V. I hope I made the right decision. Let me know if you want to hook up for range time.

Curt

Quote Originally Posted by snowshooze View Post
    Bravo! What a beauty!
    By the way, don't lay it on the ground like that, you might never find it again! Great Camo...
    Mark

Yea snowshooze, I really like the camo design also, I just can't sit it down in the woods might be hard to find.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    I am looking forward to see how well it shoots. I am going to have to have mine cut down from the breech end to get rid of the long throat.

I have a Meopta Artemis 2x8x42mm in Talley mounts with the #4B reticle on my ZKK-602.

Incredible clarity and resolution. The reticle is based on 0.5m, a good dimension for ranging game animals.
    Nitro, the is a fine scope and you are right about it being clear, on of my hunting friends has one and it is nice to look through. Let me know when you have cut down the breech and how that turned out.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
    Very nice beartooth! I am envious! If you get it in time let me know, I am headed to birchwood range this weekend to sight in the new Tikka t3 lite in the .300 .... I am still thinking about the wthby .300 mark V. I hope I made the right decision. Let me know if you want to hook up for range time.

Curt
    AKDSLDOG, I sure wished I did live where you do and we surely would go to the range together. Thanks for the invite anyway. The Tikka will serve you just fine and if it is in 300Win Mag it will do the job.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

OK, I'm sitting here with my morning cup of coffee looking at the scope sight field in Nitromans post. Maybe it's just too early. But it appears to have a BDC with increments from 1 to 6. But the increments get smaller instead of bigger and BDC's usually start at 300 or 400 like the one in Beartooth's post. And now I see the the cross hairs on the bottom (6 o'clock) plex which look like a BDC. So I'm guessing the numbered increments are'nt a BDC, and I don't think it's a range finder?

What's the deal?

The Meopta is very clear but the set up on the Zeiss I like better. I am not sure how the Meopta marks work. Maybe Nitro can kick in and educate us on how it is suppose to work.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Nitroman, If you are going to have your .375Wby cut from the breech to get rid of the long throat, you are not going to fire factory Weatherby ammo are you? If you did the pressures would certainly increase to much don't you think? I assume you are going to only use handloads and 375 H&H ammo for fire forming or if you find yourself in need of ammo when away from home?
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I suspect that 375 Wby factory ammo is not commonly stocked, esp. in remote locations....tho 375 HH is fairly common.

Yes, that is so true. What makes it cool is that I can use 375H&H ammo when short or out of or lost my ammo. I am going to also fire form some from 375H&H ammo and have some extra brass when it get hard to find the brass I want.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

beartooth,
    You have just got to get a 460 Wby. The 375 Wby is neat choice because, as you pointed out, you can shoot the H&H ammo in a pinch. I think of it as Wby's version of the AI.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer55 View Post
    beartooth,
    You have just got to get a 460 Wby. The 375 Wby is neat choice because, as you pointed out, you can shoot the H&H ammo in a pinch. I think of it as Wby's version of the AI.
    Yes Flyer55, that is what it was, Roy Weatherby's version of the .375 AI. Gives me a 150 to 200fps extra over an 375 H&H depending on bullet choice, but no less than an H&H when in a pinch and that is comforting when having to go into a local gun shop for ammo and can buy 375 H&H ammo. And every one knows a 375 H&H is very capable and hard hitting round.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

The descending bars are a ranging feature, based on the distance between the top and bottom bars being 0.5 meters, or about 19.5 inches. Like the top of a caribou to the bottom of the chest (approximately). Once you have it bracketed, note the range.

The reticle subtensions for the crosshairs are listed on the Meopta website.

As for cutting down the barrel, I will opt for the shorter, "new" throat, not the original throat which is simply too long for any sort of accuracy.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

The descending bars are a ranging feature, based on the distance between the top and bottom bars being 0.5 meters, or about 19.5 inches. Like the top of a caribou to the bottom of the chest (approximately). Once you have it bracketed, note the range.

The reticle subtensions for the crosshairs are listed on the Meopta website.

As for cutting down the barrel, I will opt for the shorter, "new" throat, not the original throat which is simply too long for any sort of accuracy.
    Then you will be able to shoot Weatherby factory ammo. Ok, I thought you might be removing the freebore altogether. That clears up my questions.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Here are some final pictures of my .375Wby

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Very nice!!!!!!

Let us know how the load development and shooting go.

You should tie a line to it and drag it behind your truck for a few hundred yards, so it'll quickly develop character. Right now it's too nice. Besides, you set it down somewhere you'll forget where it is!

True story: I own an FN-FAL with bipod. I always take it berry picking. Some years ago I flipped out the bipod and set the rifle down to begin picking in an area. An hour or so later, it took me, my wife and a couple of our nieces, some time to find the thing. It is all black, but sitting on the tundra, it simply vanished. When I put my FAL down now, I drop something else too so I can find it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast