Thread: freighter with surface drive

Default freighter with surface drive

A friend just bought a Scott 19 ft freighter canoe, it looks like a great boat, my question is what do you guys think of mounting a go devil surface drive on a boat like this?? I have a 16 ft aluminum flat bottom with a 30 yamaha jet 4 stroke, I use it for guideing moose hunters in the fall, it works good but even the 4 stroke is hard on fuel when im loaded. This Scott canoe can haul 2000 lbs upriver with an 8 hp prop at about 15 mph! it is fiberglass but looks real tough. does anyone have any ideas about a setup like this?

Godevilalaska is the man to ask but since I'm here, I'll blab away.

The first question is, how would you steer the Go-Devil in a canoe? Can't very well step outside the boat to turn the tiller handle and it would take that to make a tight turn. Secondly, I'm not sure the transom could handle the weight and force of the Go-Devil engine.

That's all my blabbing. The rest is up "The Man", Godevilalaska.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    A friend just bought a Scott 19 ft freighter canoe, it looks like a great boat, my question is what do you guys think of mounting a go devil surface drive on a boat like this?? I have a 16 ft aluminum flat bottom with a 30 yamaha jet 4 stroke, I use it for guideing moose hunters in the fall, it works good but even the 4 stroke is hard on fuel when im loaded. This Scott canoe can haul 2000 lbs upriver with an 8 hp prop at about 15 mph! it is fiberglass but looks real tough. does anyone have any ideas about a setup like this?
    I've never tried a Surface Drive on a canoe. While a freighter has a square stern it is still narrow and lacks the flotation of a jon boat at the stern. The Surface Drives are heavy, primarily because they are all steel. They range in wt from 217 for the 18 hp SD to 265 for the 35 hp SD. With the motor and operator at and close to the narrow stern you better put the wife and kids in the bow to level it out. Since you're dealing with a displacement hull the motor will run much shallower than the canoe with a load. We've tried the longtails on canoes and they run out of water for the canoe before running out of water for the motor. The best one, I've seen, is a 24 ft cedar strip, work of art, that because of its length and very wide beam can fully use the motor for shallow operation. The 35 SD on your 16 ft flat bottom will run 25 to 30 mph when it's light and 20 to 25 heavy. Full throttle burn is 2.5 to 3.0 gph. If the goal is hauling a load and getting a reasonable speed go with the 35 SD on an 18' or 20' by 48" or 56" boat. That will carry a load and go shallow.

Default GO devel

two problems #1 it has a higher center of gravity
    #2 need a base ball field to turn,
    on a river it would be tuff
    on small streams even tuffer
    go with a short shaft 2 cycle [less weight]
    but a lift on it an it,an it will go just about anywhere ,
    go to the canoe section of this forman and ask the same
    question you will get a lot of help

SID

Default 2 problems

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    two problems #1 it has a higher center of gravity
    #2 need a base ball field to turn,
    on a river it would be tuff
    on small streams even tuffer
    go with a short shaft 2 cycle [less weight]
    but a lift on it an it,an it will go just about anywhere ,
    go to the canoe section of this forman and ask the same
    question you will get a lot of help

SID
    Sid,
    Based on your comments I have to assume you have never ridden in a boat with a GoDevil on it. #1. The center of gravity is no higher than a jet with equal thrust. #2. I can spin a 16' to 24' boat on its center, with both the long tail and the Surface Drive. I have turned my 24' boat in 26' wide streams many times.
    There are 2 reasons I don't like them on canoes. #1. They are too heavy for a narrow stern. #2. When a canoe is loaded, the Godevil will push after the canoe is grounded because the canoe doesn't offer as much displacement as a big flat bottom.
    We agree on one thing. If the writer is set on using a canoe, go to the canoe section and forget the GoDevil.
    stu

A couple of guys I know put a small go-devil (I think it was a 9hp model or similar) on a 19' grumman. Worked okay for them, got to see it out here on the river. They went with the smaller motor/weight because it was very tippy, and even with that sized godevil it was hard to stay upright on turns. Godevils really require a grab bar of some kind to hold onto as the torque on turns can pull you out of the boat.

I think with the Scott freighter that you'd be better off putting a lift on it and using a 10-15hp outboard with prop. I ran freight canoes for many years with that kind of setup, using a Seymour stick attached to throttle handle to get my weight more up front. If you set it up right the boat will get stuck before you can't motor any longer.