Thread: knik river info

Default knik river info

how far up from the launch at glen highway is to the eklutna trailrace? need to take my boat for a shakedown ride before the yetna opens up thanks

Not very far at all. It's about a mile or so where it dumps into Knik, if you askin about launch to the tailrace parking it's about 3 miles or so. It's a very short run. The tailrace channel right now is fairly shallow, I think tjm's XS would make to th tailrace parking lot though.

Heard open water at Lake Creek yesterday maybe Yetena Station today......

Default lake creek

i was skipping accross water at lake creek 3 weeks ago with the snogo and freight sled. me thinks down river from that is the part that we have to wait on. hopefully soon, im ready to go

Default thanks

thanks watergremlin. i wanted to look at the river down from the trailrace for king fishing as they changed the rules from 1/4 mile to 2 miles down river from the trailrace.

Default tide

how does the tide effect launching a boat.

The general answer is yes, but only by a couple of feet depending on the tide and water levels of the river.

Is that brackish water by the bridge? I guess I am gonna have to get a flush kit for the boat and stop worrying about it....

LuJon,

You can just back into finger lake on the way home and fire it up for a few seconds to flush it out. I don't know if that's brackish or not, though.

Water Gremlin,

Is that entire southern channel of the river considered the Tailrace? I thought it was only the canal coming out of the powerplant into that braid of the river. Now that I have the SportJon up and running again, it might be about time to do some exploring before the kings show up.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default brakish water

i would guess yes it is brakish water at the glenn hiway bridge. the tide does affect the water level there so there is a certain amount of salt at high tides. there is also a huge amount of silt in that water so flushing would definatley not hurt.

Default launching

i was more interested in the launching of the boat from the bank. but it sounds like anytime will work for that. thanks for the info guys. i'm heading up the yetna to fish lake creek fri morning, so will give a river report sun nite.

Default Knik

At low tide I have had trouble pulling my boat out. I have gotten stuck and had to be pulled out. I have a big heavy boat. But lauching it does not matter. The gravel is loose and your tires will spin. I was in 4 wheel drive and still spinning.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

yes my 21 foot northriver dosent come out of there very easily either. i back in at the lower section at an angle and dip the trailer jsut enough so i can power the boat up. be careful backing in too far there is a ledge out there and if you go over that you might have a hard time getting your trailer back. the ledge is closer to the bridge. smaller boats arent a problem as airboats are not either.

Default Fee's

The guy who was "managing" the Finger Lake S.P. las year was charging the $10.00 launch fee for going in to do a quick rinse.

Quote Originally Posted by AKRoadkill View Post
    LuJon,

You can just back into finger lake on the way home and fire it up for a few seconds to flush it out. I don't know if that's brackish or not, though.

Water Gremlin,

Is that entire southern channel of the river considered the Tailrace? I thought it was only the canal coming out of the powerplant into that braid of the river. Now that I have the SportJon up and running again, it might be about time to do some exploring before the kings show up.