Thread: Black bear skinning

Default Black bear skinning

Ill be heading out for blackies in PWS in a couple weeks and having some trouble understanding skinning... I understand the base cuts but the diagram only shows cutting down 3 legs , not all four?? is this correct?

All four get cut...check the archives, this subject was discussed several times before with some great info.

Best of luck on your hunt!

Default four

cut down all four. basically you start at the anus (here we have to leave penis bone in) cut up to just above front legs going dead center up the body, dont cut up the center of the neck as this area is visible in full body mounts. when cutting down the legs try to stay on the line where the long hair and short hair meet. Bear hides are pretty thin so be careful not to cut many (or better yet no holes!) salt your hide well. Do this as soon as you can after killing bear, even if you have to do it in the dark!! A friend went to AK. last year on a 15k brown bear hunt with a supposable reputable guide, he got a 10 ft + brownie and the guide wouldnt skin it in the dark so... the hair slipped he offered to give this fellow another hide, (not another hunt!) the replacement hide was a small sow, so my buddy said no and paid a lot of money to learn a hard lesson. I have a good friend who is a world class taxidermist and he says almost anything can be fixed except slipped fur. good luck and have fun!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    Ill be heading out for blackies in PWS in a couple weeks and having some trouble understanding skinning... I understand the base cuts but the diagram only shows cutting down 3 legs , not all four?? is this correct?
    Shoot me a PM, Fishwhacker. I would be happy to show you how it is done. That is how I learned.

Pete
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default skinning a bear

If you are in Anchorage, contact Knight's Taxidermy. He did a slide show presentation at my bear baiting clinic, and it was excellent. I believe you can view it at his shop, but it is worth a call.

Jake

Knight's has a pocket size booklet that's good too.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    cut down all four. basically you start at the anus (here we have to leave penis bone in) cut up to just above front legs going dead center up the body, dont cut up the center of the neck as this area is visible in full body mounts. when cutting down the legs try to stay on the line where the long hair and short hair meet. Bear hides are pretty thin so be careful not to cut many (or better yet no holes!) salt your hide well. Do this as soon as you can after killing bear, even if you have to do it in the dark!! A friend went to AK. last year on a 15k brown bear hunt with a supposable reputable guide, he got a 10 ft + brownie and the guide wouldnt skin it in the dark so... the hair slipped he offered to give this fellow another hide, (not another hunt!) the replacement hide was a small sow, so my buddy said no and paid a lot of money to learn a hard lesson. I have a good friend who is a world class taxidermist and he says almost anything can be fixed except slipped fur. good luck and have fun!!

Yukon....I think most world class taxidermists would agree, before you salt any hide you should flesh it!

I'm sure the Alaska Department of Fish and Game has videos to view on this subject. They have a lot of neat videos that you can go in there and sit down and watch them at your leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by aktrouttamer View Post
    before you salt any hide you should flesh it!
    Missed that the first time through. Salt will not penetrate fat. The hide must be properly fleshed. The ears, nose, and eyes should also be turned to ensure that the hide does not slip. For a weekend hunt, though, the feet and skull can be left in if the hide is kept cool without worrying about slippage.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default salt

sorry missed that, yea you must flesh before you can salt! most guides myself included skin everything clean so there is no fleshing though. Unless you have done a lot of capeing leave turning the ears and lips to the Taxidermist. If you can keep hide cool of course, but in most cases if the head is skinned you will have no problem for a couple days as these areas are thin and cool well

Although fish and game has some good videos, bear skinning is not one of them. I also highly recommend Russ Knight, give him a call. Also Larry Bartlett's video "Wilderness Taxidermy" is an excellent source for information.