Thread: New Tikka

Default New Tikka

Has anyone purchased a new Tikka T3 Battue ? If so which model and what caliber? It comes in: 308 Win, 338 Federal, 300 WSM, 270 Win, 7x64,30-06, 9.3x62 and 300 WM.
    It looks like a real handy rifle and the HI-VIZ dangerous game type sights are interesting. It also comes in the T3 lite as well. The magnums might suffer ( velocity loss, muzzle flash, recoil) from the shorter barrels tho.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Arrow Tikka T3 --- 4 dangerous game.

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    Has anyone purchased a new Tikka T3 Battue ? If so which model and what caliber? It comes in: 308 Win, 338 Federal, 300 WSM, 270 Win, 7x64,30-06, 9.3x62 and 300 WM.
    It looks like a real handy rifle and the HI-VIZ dangerous game type sights are interesting. It also comes in the T3 lite as well. The magnums might suffer ( velocity loss, muzzle flash, recoil) from the shorter barrels tho.
    An opinion to consider here with regards to the Tikka T3 action and "Dangerous" game situations ---

I'll first relate that the Tikka T3 rifles are everything and more in terms of promises from the factory (in other words NO hype)... such as the accuracy guarantee easily shooting groups under 1" (more like < 3/4"), super smooth action, lightweight, good adjustable glassy triggers, good stocks, excellent fit and finish work, free floated bbl., with attention to detail/design/quality control, etc.

For the vast number of hunters and shooters, Tikka is selling a very well made, accurate product. In my experience the Tikka T3 prints excellent accuracy out of the box to go along w/ its guarantee, exhibits reliability with ergonomic features, and provides an exceptional value.

On the other hand, the T3 "action itself" is NOT a very purpose-built design for dangerous game applications.

Couple of shortcomings:
    For the most part - the closed top section of the rifle's receiver must be loaded from the single stack detachable magazine. It is terribly impractical to load the chamber 1 round at a time! The side port is essentially an ejection exit only! Think in terms of needing 1 extra round in a hurry (better have that "overly" expensive extra magazine at the ready). Realize the difficulties should you short-stroke the bolt after firing a round (option A is to drop the mag, letting the spent cartridge fall out the magazine port then clip the mag back into place for a reloaded chamber).

While the Battue is interesting in terms of bbl. length, weight, equipping w/ low light (yet kinda low level) sights... it is the closed top receiver that makes this rifle "choke'' under some critical shooter/hunter type pressures that you may face into on dangerous game pursuits.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Richardson View Post

Couple of shortcomings:
    For the most part - the closed top section of the rifle's receiver must be loaded from the single stack detachable magazine. It is terribly impractical to load the chamber 1 round at a time! The side port is essentially an ejection exit only! Think in terms of needing 1 extra round in a hurry (better have that "overly" expensive extra magazine at the ready). Realize the difficulties should you short-stroke the bolt after firing a round (option A is to drop the mag, letting the spent cartridge fall out the magazine port then clip the mag back into place for a reloaded chamber).

While the Battue is interesting in terms of bbl. length, weight, equipping w/ low light (yet kinda low level) sights... it is the closed top receiver that makes this rifle "choke'' under some critical shooter/hunter type pressures that you may face into on dangerous game pursuits.
    I have heard this statement before by sports writers in magazine articles but not sure that i would agree. I own Tikka T-3's in .338 Win Mag and a .300 WSM. Its like anything else, after loading a few rounds it isn't really any more difficult loading thru the side port than it is on any of my other guns. As stated they sure do shoot sweet. they are quickly becoming my favorite guns

I load mine one at a time quite frequently, no mag dropping. Never heard of it being a problem, never had a problem myself.

I have considered purchasing a spare magazine for fast reloads though.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.