Thread: Three Finger Cove ice free?

Default Three Finger Cove ice free?

Out of Whittier..
    Wondering if anyone has been over to Three Finger Cove this year?
    Would like to know if its ice free.

Thanks,
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

haven't been out yet, but I will tell you that last year we went there in May and the snow was still a few feet deep. I got up at about 2:30 in the morning to check the anchor and the boat was iced over from it being so cold. The next day it felt about eighty degrees so one of my buddies jumped in to cool off, that lasted about a half-a-second! As far as the cove having ice on the water, can't say for sure, but I doubt it.

Thanks for the feedback,
    We plan on heading out this weekend and thought three fingers might be a good overnight. We want to poke around Saturday possible Culross passage or Parry Island staying overnight Saturday and returning to port Sunday.
    This will be our first trip out of Whittier so hopping the weather will cooperate.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Three Fingers is one of my favorites! I did get lucky and learned an important lesson about that cove, if you anchor in the big middle finger of the cove (trail head section) do not anchor against the right side against the tallest mountain. One weekend on a really low tide, I thought that whole cove was going to go dry! the right side turned into boulder islands everywhere, we happened to sit off it in about twelve feet of water and didn't plan to move an inch until we saw another boat leave its anchor, then only did we leave with confidence. I was shocked thinking this thing might empty right down to nothing, I couldn't believe it! Anchor up at the end near the trail head sign and you'll sleep well.

Here is a picture of the trail head straight ahead against the bank just to the left of that boat in the background. If you anchor where that boat is or two the left, you'll be good and also get relief if the wind blows off that bank toward you. Tucked into the little pocket on the left of that boat is good also. I can't wait to get there, another couple weekends or so for me then I'm there! My boat and the one in the picture are Sea Sports if that helps any. Enjoy and be safe!
    Attached Images Attached Images