Thread: Canoe Center Seat Recommendations

Default Canoe Center Seat Recommendations

I have an 18' Mad River Kevlar 49 that I've done some refurb on. I need a center seat for my two kids for lake fishing. Any good recommendations?

Thanks,
    beamer

These guys make a nice one.
    It's about halfway fown in the yokes & seating section.
    http://www.gear4portaging.com/

These guys also have a couple of options about half way down on this page.
    http://www.canoegear.com/catalog/home.php
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Low Center of Gravity

Quote Originally Posted by beamerflying View Post
    I have an 18' Mad River Kevlar 49 that I've done some refurb on. I need a center seat for my two kids for lake fishing. Any good recommendations?

Thanks,
    beamer
    Just keep in mind the lower your center of gravity the more stable your canoe is going to be. I would suggest a short seat that sits on the bottom of the canoe. or a saddle style seat where they can kneel and rest their butts on the saddle or duffel bag.

Jim King
    Alaska Series Inflatable Boats,
    The Toughest Bottoms in the Business,
    River Rafts, Catarafts, Inflatable Kayaks,
    Inflatable Canoes, Inflatable Sport Boats,
    Inflatable Jet Boats, Tenders and Dinghies.
    WWW.alaskaseries.com
    (907)248-2900

I use a milk crate.

KK

Default Kid seats

I have two seats for my old town guide, Old town's snap in third seat and a sling seat that hooks over the side rails. Both work well and allow us to seat 4 deep.

With small kids, having them sit on the square, throwable life cushion works real well. Also keeps them out of the water in the bottom of the canoe. Sitting low on the floor is also more stable, but the kids eventually will want to be up where they can see.

The riigid snap in seat very solid and is more a permanent solution - i.e. hard to remove. It also will sit two across with small kids. The sling is temporary and sits one low.

-hiker
    "Happiness is a warm gun - bang bang, shoot shoot!"
    -Lennon/McCartney

Great suggestions so far. I've had Old Towne's snap in center seat and liked it for lake fishing. I've considered the sling as well...seems pretty cost effective, but not as cost friendly as milk crates.
    I looked at a nice one at Bear Creek Canoe and Kayak's store on ebay. It's a double center seat with the black webbing instead of wicker. Some great options to consider.

Thanks,

Beamer

Get a type IV throwable floatation device and use it for a seat. The kids on the center seat have nearly tipped me and the wife several times. I pulled the seat out since it is an invitation to disaster. Keep the CG low.

Quote Originally Posted by stratofisher View Post
    The kids on the center seat have nearly tipped me and the wife several times. I pulled the seat out since it is an invitation to disaster. Keep the CG low.
    You have to know the kids. My kids have been in the canoe with us since they were infants, so they are very boat worthy and I have never even had a close call with them in the canoe. However, I took some friends kids out two years ago, and they were all over the place. It was their first time in a canoe and I never got to comfort level with them in it.

Beamerflying: I just noticed in your original post that you have a kevlar canoe. The sling seats might not work as well in a kevlar canoe since I believe the sides have much more flex to them. Something to look into before going down that path.

-hiker
    "Happiness is a warm gun - bang bang, shoot shoot!"
    -Lennon/McCartney

http://www.castlecraft.com/seats_canoes.htm

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0001669011361a.shtml

I think the one cabelas is selling may actually be the castle craft also.
    the sling type from Campmor is a light weight sling style

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/..._source=Nextag

I contacted the "Gear for portaging" web guys and they actually custom make the 3rd seat based upon canoe dimensions for you...for $35 that's pretty good. I have a older scanoe and the dimensions are a bit larger so he also said they would increase the tube size for better support, that's not too shabby for customer service...but I haven't tried nor seen one so I don't know how well they are constructred. For years I have put two of the old plastic chair seats (the old school cafeteria style) with the legs removed for my kids to sit in and it has worked great. They just slide to either side to put the hands in the water and we cruise along.

Well here is an update, I ordered the center seat based upon dimensions, got put in line on May 12 and promised the seat by July 1...still waiting. Maybe I'll get it by next year....
    Yesterday I ran into an Old Girlfriend and I thought I missed her...
    So I backed up and hit her again, ya know sometimes I really do miss her!!