View Poll Results: Which three weights and types of 30-06.

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Light accel 55 gr,, 150 grain Boat-tails, 180gr partitions

3 6.38%
  • 150 gr Spitzers, 180 grain bonded, 220 grain round nose

7 14.89%
  • 180 grain Spitzer BT, ,, 200 grain Partition, 220 grain solids

4 8.51%
  • 165 gr,, 180 gr,, and 200 grain all Partition types.

14 29.79%
  • 180 grain Part,,,, 200 grain part... 240 to 250 grain RN solid

4 8.51%
  • all your choices stink I am writting my own...

15 31.91%

Thread: 30-06 bullet weight/type poll. If you could only have 3 types for life.

Default 30-06 bullet weight/type poll. If you could only have 3 types for life.

This is a 30-06 only question for folks who live and hunt here in Alaska.

Purely hypothectical...

You only have a 30-06 rifle, with no chance of ever obtaining anything else.
    You have to choose three bullet weights, in factory loadings, to last you a life time.

Which three bullet weights and bullet types, in factory loaded 30-06, would you want the commercial makers to provide you for the rest of your life in Alaska?
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

165 Interlock, 180 Partition, 220 Interlock

150,180 and 220 core lokt's

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Well, I had to choose “all your choices stink I am writing my own…” but in truth your choices don’t stink, they just don’t happen to be what I actually use, and that wasn’t one of the choices.

You see, I am a bit of a freak when it comes to loads and particular rifles. I usually only have one load per rifle and that rifle is pretty much intended for one specific task, or type of game animal. In the case of my 30-06 I do have two loads. First is 53 gr HP and sabot combo at 4000 fps and the second is 180 Nosler Partition at 2700 fps. Truth be told, both of these loads are still in the development phase albeit nearly done. One more trip to Bunny Creek should wrap it up.

I guess my main “issue” with multiple loadings for the same rifle is the necessity of sighting in and readjusting the sights when switching between loads of significantly different bullet weights. I just hate that………….I mean I really hate it. So, in the example given above with the 53 gr bullets at 4000 fps, and the 180 bullets at 2700 fps I have two scopes, both with the QRW rings that get changed out according to the load being used at the time. Is this the most sensible and cost effective way of handling the situation? Not according to my wife. But at least I can pick up that rifle at any give moment, mount the appropriate scope, and head for the hills and squeeze off a shot and know exactly where it is going to go without having to go to the range and sight in. I know that some of you will say “your point of impact is going to shift by taking those scopes on and off” and at the risk of sounding like a know it all, I can attest that is not the case. At least not to any measurable degree. To prove my point to a “non-believer” I once shot two, five shot groups, removing and reinstalling the scope between every shot. Both groups measured the same @ 1 ¼” Not “great” groups, but typical for the factory load in use at that time.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Naturaly I responded BEFORE I read your entire post…………….Oh how I love to look stupid……….

Now that I see that I am hypothetically limited to only ONE rifle, I guess I had better invest in a third scope and set of QRW rings……………….. and I guess add 220 gr interlock bullets to the 53 gr HP and 180 gr Partition.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

125 gr Ballistic Tip, 168 gr TSX, 200 gr. Partition.

My 06's love those little 125's. While I haven't shot anything bigger than a woodchuck with them, I've read posts that they are devastating on deer and usually shoot through if you don't hit the shoulder bone.

The 168 TSX should make a 180 gr. bullet redundant, so I bumped up to a 200 gr Partition. Highly accurate, and according to some, tougher than the 220 gr. Partition. Would be my choice for hunting situations where the expected range doesn't exceed 200 yards.

If I could only have one bullet weight, the 168 gr TSX would be my hands down choice.

I didn't think the 165, 180, 200 gr. Partition option was a bad choice, but in reality I only shoot 180 gr. Accubonds in my '06. I'm comfortable with that for almost all of my hunting. If I feel the need for something bigger, I have a 35 Whelen.

If I feel the need for something bigger, I have a 35 Whelen.
    Not in this senario. This is a not so make believe land where you are only allowed to have one rifle and lets say 1,500 rounds of factory loads to last the rest of your life. And you can choose up to 3 bullet types / weights.

I was trying to see if the 220 grain slugs were still as popular as they were 30 years ago...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I would only need one. Something like a Nosler 150 grain E-tip. Just make it a 150 to 180 monometal bullet and I would be set. Since your offering more I will take some of those 220 nosler partitions.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".