Thread: More Ruger Alaskan Problems!

Default More Ruger Alaskan Problems!

Guys, I would like some advice. I recentl bought a Ruger Alaskan .454 and have had problem after problem. First it would lock up in double action shooting .45 lead bullets. I sent it to Ruger and got it back. I just went to the range and the gun now shoots .45s great! Just when I was getting happy with the gun I switched to .454 Buffalo Boar hard cast bullets for the final test. Out of 10 shots I had one primer that failed to fire and almost all of the cases stuck so hard I had to pry them out.

Do I have a lemon with this gun or is it an ammo problem with the BB bullets?

I don't own one, but both of those issues come up on the forums from time to time. My guess is that Ruger's .454 chambers are boared a little tighter than the norm... that would probably make them a little more accurate than usual when firing .45 lc, but then the casings stick whenever someone shoots powerful .454's through them. Maybe lighter loads would help?
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

Default Buffalo Bore

I had the sticking issue with Magtech 454s. Seems they were a tad hot. Picked up a box of winchesters and had no problems.

Default clean cylnder

Did you clean your cylinder thoroughly between firing the 45 L.C. loads and the 454?
    The cast 45 LC loads will leave a ring of carbon where the shorter brass ends then the 454's will stick. I had this problem in my FA years ago. No problems with my FA or SRH if kept clean.
    The 454 is a high pressure cartridge for a handgun and the cylinders MUST be clean.
    Hope this helps.

Default Ruger Problems

I did not clean between firings. However, some brass removed from chambers fit smoothly in other chambers that did not stick (4 of 6 stuck hard). I took the test casing that came w/ the gun and tested it for fit and it does not fit in any of the chambers? I am thinking that the QC on the chambers is not uniform and some need to be opended up slightly?

I would either send it back to Ruger or take it to a local smith and have the chambers polished.
    Which lead bullets are you shooting? Are you sure they are of the proper hardness and not causing everything to lead up?

I'd be willing to bet that it's dirty chambers. Shoot the 454 through the cleaned gun and see if it still sticks.