Thread: Trip?

Default Trip?

Making a dream trip this year to Alaska. July 11-20.

What can I expect. We have a charter for Halibut out of Ninichik one day. A guide for kings another on the Kenai. The rest of our time will be shore fishing...

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I live in Minnesota and fish probably 100-150 days a year, love being out in nature and enjoy everything from stalking our smallest panfish to fishing for out largest gamefish. I have caught rainbows before and of course your invasive species nothern pike but other than that everything that I fish for will be a new experience.

Any info?

Default Awesome time

Quote Originally Posted by PRFISHER View Post
    Making a dream trip this year to Alaska. July 11-20.

What can I expect. We have a charter for Halibut out of Ninichik one day. A guide for kings another on the Kenai. The rest of our time will be shore fishing...

I think you can expect an awesome time in Alaska. Your timing for fishing is just about perfect and you should find great fishing success as well as a great Alaska experience.

The sockeye should be arriving in force on the Kenai sometime around the 15th, the kings will be doing very well and the halibut should be awesome (depending on weather and tide).

For sockeye bank fishing, just look for the people and you'll find the spots. Unless you are on private property, you will likely be enjoying very social fishing. My advice is to scope out the spots, and then get there (or stay there until) very early in the morning; it will be light enough to fish from about 2:00 am until about 11:00 pm (estimate).

If you need tackle or advice, stop by Trustworthy Hardware and Fishing. They have the best prices and have their finger on the pulse of the area fishing.

Take a day and go to Seward. Take the Kenai Fjord cruise, stop in at the Sea Life center and hike up to exit glacier (could be some fishing on the way). Also, a trip to Homer is well worth your time.

I expect that you will have a great vacation. Enjoy

Good luck

Default AK expectations...

Expect surprises.
    Alaska is full of them and they will come at you on every trip.

Be flexible.
    Develop Plan A and Plan B relative to weather and runs of the fish.

Be informed.
    Run the bookstore on this site and pick out what you deem will assist you.

Congratulations on discovering that dreaming about Alaska can come true...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Thumbs up

You should have an awesome trip. The Trustworthy hardware is a good tip. They are more than happy to point you in the right direction. Or if you see someone who looks like they know what they need in the fishing isle theres a good chance its a guide or a local that knows the area. Don't be afraid to hit them up on what to get or where to go. I have people come up to me all the time and as long as it wasn't to long of a day on the water I don't mind helping them out. I think the most important thing I can say is to try to keep your plans as loose as possible. Of coarse your days booked with guides are locked down but you never know when an opportunity might come up you didn't expect and if your trip is locked up with too strict of an itinerary you might miss out. It's a big place and you can only do so much research. Sometimes too, they get blown off at deep creek and you might end up having to move around a trip so you want to be able to have something else to do that day. Anyways, I hope that helps, and good luck on the trip!
    Fishing is one part skill too two parts luck!