Thread: Wrangell Fishing

Default Wrangell Fishing

Anyone from the Wrangell area know if it would be worth my time to kick around outside of Wrangell for halibut or kings in mid-May? I will be there May 18 and 19th on my way to Coffman Cove. Plan on looking for crab. Are there any bait stores open on Sunday or shall I get it in Juneau on the way down? Any thoughts on a starting point would be helpful.

Gooch

Born and raised. I live in Wasilla now but the salt water fishing in Wrangell is awesome, in fact I really miss it. You can buy bait there, probably at City Market or Bob's IGA on Sundays as well as maybe the hardware stores (if they're open)... I don't know their hours anymore.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

i am originally from petersburg and i agreee the fishing is awesome. might be able to catch the bait like we did in petersburg when i was a kid.that is if you have the time. cod were pretty plentiful off the dock as well as the herring, both make great bait for butts.

Default How are you getting there?

Will you be on a boat so you will be going through Petersburgh? If so you can easily catch your bait there.

Hello 'akriverrat', did you spend most of your time in the North Arm or did you venture well and beyond?

Default More to the story

Thanks guys for all the info, Wife and I will be heading down on the ferry from Anchorage via Haines and I will have a truck and boat (skiff) that will be ready to go. We got bumped off the earlier ferry which would have taken us straight to Wrangell and then to Coffman Cove but with the schedules the way they are we now miss our boat to Coffman and have to spend two days in Wrangell. Should be fun, would like to catch a few butts or anything really.

i was there when i was a kid through 8th grade and then moved up here. spent a few seasons in the area when i was a teen commercial fishing and was just down there in feburary for a wedding and caught a few kings trolling. used to fish around sokeye islands with my gramps for halibut and fished the docks for dollies and herring when i was a youngster. i remember duncan canal being awsome for silvers in august. spent alot of time running the hydraulics on my stepdads seiner when i was pretty young and have no idea where we were .

That's kewl... I spent tons of time sport fishing around Babbler, the Nose, and other great salmon fishing locations as well as commercial fishing for years down there.

Based on your handle, I thought you may have spent lots of time on the Stikine River. As I'm sure you know, the Wrangell and Petersburg boys did not play well together on the river.

[quote=wasillaguy;264121
    Based on your handle, I thought you may have spent lots of time on the Stikine River. As I'm sure you know, the Wrangell and Petersburg boys did not play well together on the river.[/quote]

yea the petersburg and wrangel kids have been trash talkin each other for years and probably will till the end of time. never spent any time on the stikine but have heard many stories from my cousin who frequents it regularly. his dad and him builds boats in petersburg so he built himself a 17 foot aluminum skiff, i believe he runs a 150 merc with a tiller handle. from what ive heard the boat is so fast its scary.

Default fishing Wrangell for butts

Gooch,

I would be willing to share a little if you PM me about local areas but won't post it on here for all to see . Lived in Wrangell most of my life and continue to hit the halibut there every summer. There are lots of them if you know where to go. My only condition is that if you hit one of the spots I tell you about, you let me know how you do since I'll be fishing most of my areas in June and July. Last July I took two buddies out and we limited out in 6hrs on 30+ lb halibut both days in an area I often go. Fishing the tides changes are important in some areas and I consistantly see the butts biting during the tide change. Both groceries will have herring on Sunday especially since it'll be Wrangell's King salmon derby starting May15. Also herring can be purchased at Sentry Hardware, totem bar liquor store (yea..I know..beer and fishing, go figure, they also usually keep the Purples (big herring)), Angermans Sporting goods, and Alpine Minni Mart (the gas station). You may also get lucky and find herring for sale at one of the boat fuel docks since one of them now has a small convienence store. Let me know what kind of boat/motor your using and how far your willing to go. I fish a 17' welded aluminum skiff (local built) w/90HP Merc and take it as far as coffman all the time (3foot seas or less). I assume since your headed to coffman that your willing to fish over that way. Anyway, PM is the best way to contact. I'll be in Wrangell memorial day weekend but I guess you'll already be in Coffman. Also, King salmon is almost always excellent that time of year (with Wrangell being at the mouth of the Stikine fishing out in front of town for Kings is popular among locals, especially in May15-June15). Anyway, Take care.