Thread: July 27-August 4, 2008...

Default July 27-August 4, 2008...

I've been reading thread after thread on this site, great and entertaining info all around! So I'm finally doing it, making the trip from Vermont to the last frontier... I've purchased "Highway Angler" as well as the Alaska Atlas and Gazetteer, and I've highlighted some streams that look promising, but more info is always better, right?

We will be staying in Talkeetna, have a car, not afraid to drive it, not afraid of combat fishing(prefer the opposite, but who doesn't), and we have a goal... We want to catch as many species of salmon as possible in 7 days. Maybe some grayling, bows, and dollies too(if possible)... We realize that Kings will be pretty much out of the question at this time, but there is a real possibility of hooking all other species if I am not mistaken. Maybe the Chinook trip will be next year.

Tips on location as well as flies/jigs/lures/baits would be greatly appreciated. We are all hardcore Great Lakes trib anglers, so I think we will adapt well up there. Budgeting and vacation time has forced us into the one week window, but there is a lot of daylight, and we aren't coming up there to picnic and bird-watch if you know what I mean.

Default Welcome

Welcome to the board (at least your first post).

If you are willing to drive a bit, kings will be peaked on the Kenai during your stay. The season does close for king fishing on July 31, but in recent years, the absolute best days on the Kenai have been during the last week of July.

This year is a pink year on the Kenai as well. So, during your time, on one day, you could catch 4 of your 5 species; i.e. kings, sockeye (also traditionally very good during this time), pinks and early silvers. The Kenai doesn't boast a chum run, however an occasional chum has been caught over the years... but you would want to try other areas for that.

Kings are not over! And indeed you are in the best time possible for kings on the Kenai!

Good luck

Thank you for the reply! Man these next two and a half months are gonna be tough to get through! Are you casting hardware on the Kenai? Trolling?

Default RE

Quote Originally Posted by hizzy19 View Post
    Thank you for the reply! Man these next two and a half months are gonna be tough to get through! Are you casting hardware on the Kenai? Trolling?
    YES, YES and YES.

This was a very tough winter and this is the hardest part, knowing that there are likely fish in the river and I can't do anything about it!!! A few more weeks.

Hardware will work exceeding well for pinks and good for silvers. Backtrolling, back bouncing and dragging all work great for kings, and flipping coho flies are about the only thing that works for sockeye.

Good luck

Kenai is a long way from Talkeetna.

Sunshine Creek, Rabidoux Creek, Montana Creek, Goose Creek, Sheep Creek, and Willow Creek are all fairly close. A little early for silvers but there might be a few around but there should be a scattering of pinks, chums, grayling, and rainbows in all of them at this time of year.

Little Su is another system (probably your best bet) for a early season, bank fishing type of place for silvers, pinks, and chums in that area. By early August down in the lower area by Burma Road there will be some fish to be caught. I guess that it all depends on how far you want to travel or if your base is going to be in Talkeetna for the duration of your trip as Burma Landing has got to be around an easy hour plus drive.

If you are up for a drive (5 hours or so to the town of Kenai from Talkeetna) then give the Kenai a try. Seward which is about the same travel distance will also be happening for silvers. Valdez is yet another place that would be worth a try but it is a drive from there as well. The good news is that there are lots & lots of options but you could spend the summer here and still not hit all the "spots".