Thread: What Type of Video Camera

Default What Type of Video Camera

I am possibly in the market for a video camera. Heard some good things about the hard drive type. Heard mixed reviews on the mini dvd type. Costco has a cannon mini dvd on sale with accessories, not sure on price just seen in the coupon flyer. But it got me thinking again about one for use on the water in PWS and out doing other stuff. So what is the better type?

Most of the folks I know still use and love there DV tapes over the newer mini dvd and HD formats.
    A web search at some of the digital camera hang outs may give you some more information.
    Tennessee

I've done a ton of research on this in the last few months due to the break in and the one we had was taken. This is the one I am waiting on right now, should be here in a few days. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Camcorder.html

I have 2 coworkers that have the canon HV20 and have raved about it, the HV30 is similar but with a better quality and is the new kid on the block. Both guy's are big into photography/videography so I trust their opinions on this stuff. The reviews are good as well. I got mine off of EBay and saved a little. I have been told to stay away from the "hard drive" models, they just haven't come up to perfection yet. The tape players are still giving you the best resolution/video then the rest, i.e. Hard Drive, Mini DV, DVD.

Default Hard drive

I too did a ton of research and want to have the most reliable one for my first alaskan hunt for the wife and I. A hard drive is the only way to go!! I bought the 30G JVC HDD Hybyrid Everio. You can also record on a SD card with it. Gives you a lot of options. Less moving parts for things to get messed up. The quality of the videos is unbelievable!! and it won't break the bank.

Default Suggestion

Since to most sportsmen size, weight, and convenience are important qualities.
    The digital SLR cameras made today have the ability to take very good quality video on SDHC cards. They are equiped with zoom lenses,have filters available, image stabilization, sound, and allow for stills as well. And if you dive you can get underwater cases. They reduce the amount of photograhic equipment carried into the field by half in weight and numbers by 1/2, and memory is lighter and smaller than tape. They are more versatile than a movie camera as well , allowing for shot composition and enlargements.
    Just my 2 cents.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

MINIDV all the way, the hard disc camcorders have a long ways to go still to reach the quality
    Semper Fi!