Thread: Air Boat in Craig area.

Default Air Boat in Craig area.

I might be moving to the Craig area from Montana. I have an 18 ' Panther Air Boat it has a 350 , 330 hp. Will I be able to use it for hunting and fishing. Never been on the ocean. Any advice.

Advice?

Don't put it on the ocean unless you're guaranteed flat calm water. Ooops, that can't be guaranteed in SE AK.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default no place

for an airboat in craig. if it were me id sell it and start looking at the ads for southeast for an ocean boator at least a semi vee skiff. a 4 wheeler would be handy there,looking on google earth it looks like theres miles upon miles of logging roads and trails.

Default My $.02

It would give the locals a good laugh and something new to talk about. ....Otherwise, I would sell it and buy a nice 18' skiff.

I thought about selling it, but thought there might be some bays or just run the shore line. I get a lot of looks here in Montana but it sure does run the Milk and Missoui nice and its a lot of fun to run. Is there much waterfowl hunting around Craig.

Joe

Everyone likes toys... which means if they were a good idea, they'd already be running them there. They're not, if you were wondering.

Now Cordova...

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default not too sure

but i imagine there is duck hunting. might have to travel by boat to get to a slough or anywhere they hold. if you are into ducks then you will probably want a jon boat or a semi vee with a jet. airboats are shallow water machines do not rely on it for saltwater travel. if you really want to keep it you can UMHV the bottom often and run the logging roads .

If you keep your air boat, and bring it up to Craig you will need to do three things 1) Buy a survival suit 2) Buy a big life insurance policy 3) Buy a big buoy and long line so when you sink your boat they can find the buoy.

I fished commercially near there and the weather never is flat calm. It picks up on a whim, and gets nasty from there.

Best advise. Come up here, look around and then you can ship your boat if you think it is still a good idea. I would get a 20 - 32' boat that will handle the weather.

Default Airboat

Hntnlab,

Seriously, I can't think of any way you could put the boat to use on POW, but like Kenai Boater says, take a look around first and see what you think.

So, what brings you to Craig? SISD, USDA, Native Corp, SEARHC, Viking Lumber?

I like the advice im getting. If you don't no ask and you all seem to tell it like it is. Thats what I wanted. I was thinking along the same lines.
    Joe

KENIA BOATER GREAT ADVICE! If I get the job I will sell my boat as I have some folks interested in it around town, the air boats are just getting started here in Montana.

Joe

COALDUST
    It would be a city job.

Is it an open hull in the back or covered ? The guy I bought my first airboat from up here took his out across the inlet in Kenai . Me I would never try it
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Smile

If you said Anchorage or the Valley (Palmer/ Wasilla) I would say bring it up and have some fun. A lot of hunting in the area is done by boats even. Sorry to say this, but your days of 200 to 300 pound deer are over. If you shoot 5 then maybe. On the plus side lots of black bear to play with. There are even some imported elk in the area. I think they put them on Prince of Whales Island. PS Bring rain gear, and don't let a little rain bother you. You will love it up here. KB

It has about an 8-inch splash guard. Now what about this dropping the huge deers?? This is hntnlab's little girl. LOVE my big game hunting. Also, is there a lot of welding opportunities up there?

Craig is a pretty small town, but if you hit the docks you might get some boat welding jobs. I've been out of the South East fisheries for too long.

The Sitka Black tail deer run pretty small with small racks compared to some of those Montana deer you probably played with.

I used too love to chase Lingcod. One of Mother Natures jokes. It is one of the ugliest fish in the world, but tasty. They are super easy to catch because they eat every thing. Think Pike, but in shades of brown and up to 60-70 pounds.

Default Cat gotch yah tongue?

When I say "hntnlab's little girl", I mean an 18-year old who loves to hunt with my pa and who can weld when he can't

PIKE, sounds a lot like our paddlefish. This last summer I stuck me a 20 or 26 pounder. Can't remember, just remember that it was gggooodd!!!