Thread: My 338 Federal is on the way

Default My 338 Federal is on the way

Today I finally ordered a Tikka T3 lite stainless in 338 Federal at Boonies. To get my fix of instant gratification I bought the dies, shell holder, two boxes of bullets, and 308 R-P brass so I could to get work and neck up the brass. All I need now is a wilson case holder, a canister of x-terminator, and a moose in the cross hairs.

I already have a 300RUM and my wife has a 308, I think the combo of a 338 Fed and 308 will make for a great his and hers setup. Reloading for both rounds will be convienant that's for sure.

I'll probably scope it with a VX2 3-9, but I have two Burris FF2 that I really like. One is a 3-9x40 and the other is a 2-7x36. The 3-9 has been in the field almost every weekend during the winter and it's never given me problems. If I muster the courage to buy something more expensive maybe a VX3 2-8 will be on the menu.

I'm excited to say the least.

Just make sure that every round you load for the .338 Federal is well identified or marked. You don't want to load one in the .308. Other than that, it's indeed a nice little round: short, slim, with a good size head on its shoulders. It should do very well with 180-grain bullets, and 210 grainers on the heavy side.

Ray, thanks for bringing up that point. That scenario never really occurred to me even though the possibility is there, and I definitely need to make that point to my wife. But I do mark my handloads with a sharpie after the bullet is seated to length. I have not loaded for my wife's 308 yet and really didn't plan on it until I was looking at the 338 Fed. I could also load her rounds with a TSX and mine with a partition, or visa versa. That would make each caliber distinguishable.

Default mixing up ammo

Have you thought about using different cases for the .308 and the .338? I use nickel .30-06 cases for my .338-06, so I can tell them apart from just a quick glance. I also do the same thing for .38 Special and .357 Mag. Just a thought.

Jake

Default loads

Mine will be here in 10 days or so let me know what loads you work up none of my books has it listed of course. do you have a chrony? I put a 2.5 compact leopold on my wifes 30/06 tikka, kept it nice and light will do the same with mine.

Default Tikkas are junk guns that

Blow up after a box of rounds. I also heard that they have this flimsy scope mount rail that strips out and your scope will fall off into a river.

Ok, just kidding WG.. as i said earlier, that's a fine rifle and even neater caliber. you'll enjoy it a lot. It's easy to load for and the Tikka should fling them 210's with authority. Good luck with it.

Default Boondocks is doing good by

the 338 Federal. I just bought one and picked up dies and glass for it as well. Great bunch to deal with. I am leaning towards trying the 225 Swifts to see what they'll print, but do plan on some 210 Partitions as well, and 200's and 215's and..... Please post some of your loads as data is kinda sparse, especially for me coming from an 06!

Go to the Hodgdon website. There's a bunch of free reloading data for the 338 Federal.