Thread: Gun Blueing

Default Gun Blueing

Hi all;
    I want to blue my stainless Casull. Just like blue better, and less flash.
    I am considering the project, but it doesn't make sense for one gun.
    Also another setup is required for regular chrome moly steels, one more tank minimum.
    I am looking for letters of interest in a joint effort. I can build the setup and have a commercial site to work in, but it would be less expensive to send it out unless a few of us got it together as a joint effort. It is also really nasty work with caustics.
    Anyhow, anybody interested, drop a line and let's kick it around.
    Thanks,
    Mark

Default blueing stainless steel

Sorry to burst your bubble but you cannot readily blue stainless steel. Blueing is just controlled rusting and stainless does not normaly rust.

The old pre-64 Winchester stainless barrels that were blued were first iron plated than the iron plating was blued.

Quote Originally Posted by snowshooze View Post
    Hi all; I want to blue my stainless Casull.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default Blueing Stainless revisited

I did a bit more research and it appears that one company makes some blueing salts that are advertised to work on stainless.

I have some tanks and heat sources already and some experience in hot bluing. If you can get the bluing salts shipped up here I'm willing to use my tanks and expertise to make it work. I have a 629 and a .500 I'd like to see blued myself.

Hi all;
    I want to blue my stainless Casull. Just like blue better, and less flash.
    I
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default Stainless

Well;
    It has gone beyond possible, now I am headed for doing it.
    Anyone interested is welcome. I won't do it by myself, it just doesn't make sense.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/sto...?p=1103&title=
    OXYNATE~%20NO.%2084%20-%20HOT%20CHEMICAL%20BLUING%20COMPOUND

Default tvfinak

Wow, you have tanks?
    Electric or gas?
    I set up some gear a while back with electric heaters and a thermostat... worked great and I think I remember enough to do it again.
    Thanks,
    Mark

Default Bluing tanks etc.

Mark-

I have two long carbon steel tanks and a shorter stainless steel tank.

It may be better to blue the stainless in a stainless tank but the instructions should clarify the material required.

For heat I use two Coleman gas fired stoves. The heat is easy to regulate and the stoves put out plenty of heat. I use one heated tank for a pre-clean to degrease the guns but it does not have to be as hot as the bluing tank.

My untrasonic cleaner also helps to clean the guns before the hot cleaning tank.

Send me a PM with your phone number and we can work on getting the salts up here- shipping may be the biggest trick.

Wow, you have tanks?
    Electric or gas?
    I set up some gear a while back with electric heaters and a thermostat... worked great and I think I remember enough to do it again.
    Thanks,
    Mark

Default Update

Anybody in Anch, ER, or Valley...heck, we don't care how far you drive......
    The blueing project is starting to gather interest, and expanding to standard blueing for regular chrome moly, stainless and parkerizing. We intend to do a short run and shut it down. Need partners to split the cost with.
    Real Hot blueing, top shelf. I am working up the cost's of materials and equipment, and figure we will count up the projects and split the expenses.
    Please PM me if you are interested.
    Thanks,
    Mark