Thread: Kenai May 23-27 (What to photograph?)

Question Kenai May 23-27 (What to photograph?)

At short notice, I found time to come up for a brief trip on the Kenai. I got my first DSLR, a Canon 40 D about five months ago. I have 10-22, 24-105, and 100-400. I have a Hoya Pro 1 CP and just ordered (over night delivery) a Singh Ray graduated ND (3 stop soft). I better learn how to use the grad nd quickly. We booked the "Captains Choice" day cruise with Kenai Fjords Tours. It is the smaller 40 foot boat that focusses on wildlife and photography. Hoping to get some good shots that day. I wanted to ask if anyone would be willing to make some suggestions of other things to shoot while on the Kenai Peninsula. We will be in Seward a few days and driving to Homer for a day trip if nothing else. Got one to float the Kasilof for kings. But I have 1.5 days to get out and photograph what ever. Any pictures you want to post would be great. Any places you could recommend that I check out for some good shots would be equally appreciated.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default I am going there over July 17-30th

This will be my first trip to the Kenai so I really cannot help you with specifics but, I have the Kenai Travel Guide which seems to be a very good directory of places to see and things to do. I have the hard copy but, you may not have time to get a hard copy delivered before your trip. It is available online at

http://www.kenaipeninsula.org/

There are several things which I have on my agenda besides fishing.

1. Short hike to the Russian River Falls

I will be there during the migration of Red Salmon and it is supposed to be very picturesque to see the salmon jump the falls.

2. Exit Glacier

Again this is a short and relatively easy hike

Here is an interesting blog:

http://www.nwpphotoforum.com/ubbthre...mmer_intro.php

I will be arriving in Anchorage, staying for a day or two in Homer, fishing from Marlows on the Kenai Lodge for a few days and then end up our trip with a couple of days in the Seward area.

I will be taking two bodies and 3 lenses: 30D and 350D bodies; 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, 70-200mm f/4L IS and 300mm f/4L IS (with 1.4x TC). I believe that I will not take a tripod (because of weight) but, will take a monopod. I have become somewhat proficient at shooting panos from the monopod.

I will have my gear in a Lowepro Mini-Trekker which I will put in a wheeled carry-on bag (to facilitate carrying the gear around airports and such). I plan on taking one flash (either my 550ex or 420ex) and the normal load of CPL and GND filters as well as lots and lots of memory.

Please let me know if you find any cannot-miss photo subjects and also let me know how you liked your Kenai Fjords boat trip.

Richard Crowe
    rpcrowe@hotmail.com

Default Thanks ...

I ordered the Kenai visitor guide. Thanks for the link. Also got my grad ND today. First time I have ever used one. Wow! What a difference it made. Thanks for any thoughts anyone will share. I will keep a good eye on this post just in case.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

We were in Homer last Friday and went out to the end of the spit. There were a lot of eagles and i got a couple of shots. This one i think i should entitle "Burp" because it looks like he just got done eating!

Another one in flight...

Enjoy your trip to the Peninsula!
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.

Default Thanks..

Aces,

Thanks for the input and nice images. Can't wait to get back up there. Next Thursday will be here soon. Anyone reading this, help me out if you can. I will be monitoring it frequently. I will only have a few days on the Kenai. Hoping to get some good shots to come home with.

Dan, with your short timeframe I would suggest the following course from Seward to Homer:

Just out of Seward, look for Exit glacier on the left. It's a nice drive out a gravel road for several miles to the glacier. There's a fee booth at the end of the road to access the glacier itself. Very short walk right up to the ice.

Continuing on, after going through Moose Pass there's a hatchery on the right that might be of interest. At the "Y" intersection (where you take a left to head for Homer), there's some good stuff on that lake next to the intersection.

A few more miles down and you're in Cooper Landing. Lots to look at around there. Just south of Cooper Landing a couple miles, you'll have Skilak Loop road on your left. Instead of the boring highway, you might take that loop and stop off at the various lakes and such along the gravel road. It bypasses about 17 miles of highway and you'll come out close to Sterling.

When you get to Soldotna, you might take a right on the Spur highway and go over to Kenai. As you enter Kenai, take a left onto Bridge Access road. You'll pass over a large area of flats on the Kenai river that usually has lots of waterfowl and such milling about this time of year. Continue over the bridge and you can go either direction on K-Beach road. A left will take you back to Soldotna, and a right will run you along the beach down to Kasilof. Either way you're continuing toward Homer.

The rest of the way to Homer, just keep a lookout for interesting views out over the Cook Inlet. Snoop around in Anchor Point and you'll find some interesting stuff also. When you finally get to Homer, naturally you're going out on the Spit, but snoop around the rest of the area also.

Good luck.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Thanks..

JOAT,

Thanks man. I will be sure to check out the suggestions on my map. Skilak Loop Rd sounds great. I hate the main roads.

Hey Dan and everybody,

Ive been following this thread closely. thanks for that info JOAT. Ill be doing that trip as well later in the year.

I think that the Kenai caribou are starting their calving, so, after crossing the bridge that JOAT told you about I would hang a right on K-beach on the (very) remote chance that you might see some 'bou that will give you a chance at some photos. Probably not, but they might be where you can see them. Don't forget that the standard "don't pressure them at this critical time of year" stuff applies, but you may get some shots. Any antlers you see will be small and on cows and not the spectacular bull antlers from fall.

Default Thanks..

I read that some are in the Marathon Rd area in early Spring. Anyone know where this road is. I can't find it on my map. Thanks for any additional thoughts.

Default Marathon Road

As you are just entering Kenai from Soldotna on the Spur Highway, Marathon Rd is on your right just prior to the stop-light intersection by the Home Depot. Marathon is actually the road before this intersection in between a car wash and the old Dodge dealership. This road goes behind the airport and connects to the "escape route" from the Nikiski area. Go to this Google map page to see it:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...,0.070038&z=14

As for the caribou, I haven't seen them at all this year and didn't see much of them last year either. But, they range from the gas fields on K-Beach up through the Kenai River flats and throughout the Beaver Loop and Marathon Rd areas.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Thanks again...

JOAT,

Thanks again. I will put it on my to do list. It will be nice to get off the main road.

Living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska

that eagle photograph can make you a TON OF MONEY !!!

Creating an image is sometimes the easy part.. marketing your work can be a bit more difficult..BUT AS A PERSON who has had much experience in this area.. YOU HAVE A WINNER !!

Print up post cards - Note cards for a start.

Get a copy of Photograhers Market Book and learn how to submit according to their guidelines.

You never sell the rights to your images. .YOU LEASE THEM !!

get that on the front cover of a magazine and you got $1,500 bux !!