Thread: Diesel Surface Drive

Talking Diesel Surface Drive

I finally found some soft water and got the DSD wet. It's not very fast but it's pretty slow. On my 24' X 48" Alweld it will average about 14 mph at 3000 rpm. I'm going to bump the rpm up to 3500 and try a couple of different props. My goal is 19-20 mph, but since I've retired and the Kubota burns under 1 gph I can wait a little longer to get to my destinations. Check the video at the end.
    It is very easy to steer and has almost no engine vibration in the tiller.

It idles at 200 rpm at the prop so it will troll real slow.

It obviously needs some weight in the bow.

http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...t=P5020012.flv

Really cool. So is it as loud as it sounds in the video? What hp and what does it weigh?Looks like you could use some way to steer it from the bow.

Default DSD

Actually, it's not very loud at all. Probably a little quieter than a 35 hp Surface Drive. It has 25 hp and about the same torque as a 35 hp Briggs. Weight is a big problem. It weighs 560 lbs. Like you say, the rig would benefit by getting my fat butt fwd, but I prefer to control a mud motor at the tiller. If I get the performance up to expectations I may think about remote steering for those long trips on the Yukon. It's probably a lot like me "a work in progress". It sure is fun to play around with though.

Default Hey Stu...looking good

Stu,

Thanks for posting this, glad you finally got it in the water to try it out. Perfect timing with gas prices and all for this motor! I didn't check out the video yet, but just in looking at the pics your bow seems a bit high. Have you tried putting anyone or any ballast in the front to see if that picks up the speed some?

I sure like the little walk-through cabin you've put on there, great rig for camping and getting out there.
    Best, Mark

I've ran outboard jets all my life and so I'm curious, how shallow of water can you run in..... And.. how shallow of water can you run in while "desperately" searching for deeper water?

Stu, I ran though pics and comments so fast I didn't see the reference already to weight in the bow. Sorry.

Wasillaguy, I run a 25hp go-devil on a 24' x 4' jon boat and the boat has to actually ground out to stop me. I've driven jet boats too that were pretty much the same; the only difference is you can usually just hop out with the go devil and float it back off, whereas with a jet boat you are stuck pretty good and have sucked up a lot of rocks and gravel in the impeller. With a go-devil you are going so much slower that the "desperately searching for deeper water" thing isn't that desperate, if you know what I mean. I do need about fifteen feet or so of 12" of water to really get planing again.

Default DSD

The rule with a GoDevil is "If the boat will float the motor will push it. The Surface Drive will actually run shallower than the longtail before the skeg touches the gravel. The size of the boat, the load, and how balanced the load is, all factor in, but if you are in mud or weeds the GoDevil will push you out if there is any water under the boat and sometimes even if there isn't.
    There is a lot of tweeking left to do on the DSD. Today I adjusted the trim travel, bumped the no-load rpm to 3510 and put on a different prop. As soon as I have the time I'll try it again.

Is there besides fuel economy a reason for the 48 wide over say 56.
    Who makes the 48x24 boats the only place I have seen them is in ak.
    Just curiosity what diesel did you find that was light enough.

Thumbs up Very Cool!!!!

very cool, keep us posted on progress, I am also interested!! We used those go devils all over arkansas when i lived down there for a few years. Great duck hunting machines!! i imagine up here it would be a great all a round hunting machine!!!!!

keep us posted!! I am really interested in fuel mileage!!!!! and load!!

Default DSD

The reason for the 48" wide boat is, I bought it when all Godevils were long tails. The long tail ran best with boats 48" wide or narrower. The Surface Drive runs fine with boats up to 60 inches wide. I carry big loads so I want to put a lot of boat in the water to continue to run shallow, so now I can go long or wide. I still like the long skinny boats on the rivers because I believe they are more efficient.... even if they are a little harder to steer. The boat was made by Alweld and I ordered it through the Boat Shop in Fairbanks with a couple of modifications that are nonstandard. I have been very pleased with the boat since day one. The diesel isn't "light enough" it weighs 560 lbs and that is why there are so few diesel outboards. The diesel is a Kubota 905D that puts out about 25 hp. I'm still looking for a 1105 Kubota turbo which would give me 30-31 hp. I've bumped the rpm up to 3500 and have a new prop on, but need a little time from spring chores to try it out again.