Thread: Hunting out of Galena-need help

Default Hunting out of Galena-need help

I moved this thread over from the rafting section. Hope someone can help....
    I'm struggling a bit (ok...alot) to find some things in Galena. I am planning on hunting the Nowitna for moose in 2009. I know where I want to hunt. I would like to rent a jet boat in Galena to run up river in. I am also interested in renting some gear if possible. If not I'd like to ship my gear there ahead of time. If I strike out on a boat rental I may have to consider flying. I had a pilot, Colin Brown (aka Brownie) at Yukon Eagle Air that I was considering but he is moving to Africa as of June. I don't really want or need to pay to fly anyway where I plan to hunt. Joe Shuster is charging $5700 for the flight and camp rental but I have my own gear and want to hunt my own area. Any help at all from you folks with the boat rental or anything else would sure be appreciated.

Also, would be willing to trade fully outfitted Montana elk/mule deer hunt for help with this hunt.

Thanks in advance. Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Indian Summer View Post
    I'm struggling a bit (ok...alot) to find some things in Galena. I am planning on hunting the Nowitna for moose in 2009. I know where I want to hunt. I would like to rent a jet boat in Galena to run up river in. I am also interested in renting some gear if possible. If not I'd like to ship my gear there ahead of time. If I strike out on a boat rental I may have to consider flying. I had a pilot, Colin Brown (aka Brownie) at Yukon Eagle Air that I was considering but he is moving to Africa as of June. I don't really want or need to pay to fly anyway where I plan to hunt. Joe Shuster is charging $5700 for the flight and camp rental but I have my own gear and want to hunt my own area. Any help at all from you folks with the boat rental or anything else would sure be appreciated.
    To be perfectly honest, and without know anything about you, it takes quite a bit of boat/river running experience to run rivers like the Yukon and Novi. These rivers can be challenging even for the best of boat operators, especially if you hit a low water year.

I don't know how much research you've done, but the villages of Ruby and Tanana are closer to the Novi than Galena. The regulations have changed quite a bit in the last few years, and I don't know if a non-resident can hunt the river without drawing a permit. If I remember correctly, you don't need a permit once you get to a certain point on the river, but it takes a 6-8 hour boat ride from the where the Novi meets the Yukon to get to that point.

I'm not trying to rain on you parade, but I think looking at a drop off hunt with rafts, or drop off and pickup on a lake off the river would be much more realistic options than renting a boat(which I'm not sure you can even do).

The Novi is a fantastic river, and I hunt it as often as possible. If you can arrange a hunt in that area do it! Feel free to tap the knowledge of the guys on the forum. They're more than happy to help when possible.

Also, I would suggest you read the regs very carefully before making any plans.

Good luck!

Contact Joe Schuster directly and talk to him or, if you were using Brownie, call him and talk to him about it. I also heard that he's going to Africa for a few years. Tough break. Anyhow, my hunting partner and I used him in '06, my partner used him again in '07 and he was using him again this year. I believe that Joe may be trying to pick up some of the slack for Brownie and his clients but Brownie would be the best place to start. BTW, I would recommend Brownie, he's 1st class, and in speaking with Joe, I'd say he up there too. JMHO.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Sent a pm to you.