Thread: Shooting laws in AK??

Default Shooting laws in AK??

I am headed to AK on a trip in July and was wondering if anyone knew the general rules regarding the discharge of firearms in the backcountry... ie could I go out somewhere off the beaten path and do some plinking. Are theere different laws depending on the land that I am on (State, Federal etc.. ). I do know that in Denali firearms are prohibitted but was wondering about other parts of Alaska..

Thanks
    Jeff

General answer:

BLM land - Target Shooting is allowed on public lands. However, you must provide your own targets and remove your debris when you leave your site. It is illegal to shoot at trees, signs, outbuildings, or other objects on federal lands that are for the public's enjoyment.

Undesignated state land - Target shooting allowed...As provided in 11 AAC 96.020, the following uses and activities are generally allowed on state land managed by the Division of Mining, Land and Water that is not in any special management category or status as listed in 11 AAC 96.014 1 . Uses listed as “Generally allowed” do not require a permit from the Division of Mining, Land and Water. Note that this list does not apply to state parks, nor to land owned or managed by other state agencies such as the University of Alaska, Alaska Mental Health Trust, Department of Transportation and Public Facilities, or the Alaska Railroad.

I guess that pretty much covers it... Thanks for the response.

Large tracks of land up here are also locked up by Federal Parks, Preserves and Wildlife Sanctuaries. As such, our not so benevolent federal overseers have various regulations for each one. And there are no signs posted to explain the boundaries. You should check out the list of lakes that you can’t land on sometime…
    There are also State Parks, which have odd regulations. Some near me allow hunting, but not target shooting… Go figure.

Then there is common sense. What may appear to be the deep dark woods or wide open spaces to someone from another State, may in fact be a private back yard , field, or Lord knows what. We had a problem here last year with some out of State guys blasting a moose in what appeared to be the deep woods for them. While in fact they were near a house and some kids waiting for the school bus. Luckily for them , they were only charged criminally and not shot by the parents.

Also be aware that we have folks living in the oddest places. Many of whom are brand new and not really old Alaska types. (insert word nut-job here) As such they get their panties in a bunch by the sound of gunshots, airplanes, helicopters, police cars,,,,the voices in their head,,,, well you get the idea. Those goof balls are just waiting for something to complain about.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default National Parks

Firearms are authorized in Nat. Parks, but must be unloaded...so no shooting. The NRA has congress re-looking at this rule right now, hopefully it will change. NPCA is "up in arms" about the potential rule change though.

Quote Originally Posted by salchastar View Post
    Firearms are authorized in Nat. Parks, but must be unloaded...so no shooting. The NRA has congress re-looking at this rule right now, hopefully it will change. NPCA is "up in arms" about the potential rule change though.
    Only partially true, at least in Alaska. In fact, in Alaska, you can carry a loaded weapon in all units except Klondike Gold Rush, Sitka NHP, the former Mt. McKinley National Park and the original Glacier Bay and Katmai National Monuments (now just core parts of the expanded Denali, Glacier Bay and Katmai National Parks.) You may carry a firearm in all other national park lands here as allowed by current state law. Loaded, unloaded, open carry, concealed carry, as state law allows.

The difference is you may not target shoot on park lands, you may only fire them for DLP, emergencies or hunting where allowed.

The current regulation change mentioned by the poster above is a big deal for the lower 48, true, what would change up here are those exceptions I listed above if the regulation change is approved. As it is likely not going to take effect until after the new administration is in office, it is by no means a slam dunk.

thanks for the replies... I appreciate the info!