Thread: Anchorage Ice report

Default Anchorage Ice report

Does anyone have an ice report for the local lakes? Sand, Jewel, Fire, and Cambell?
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

From driving by it in the morning, it appears that Fire Lake is just starting to pull back from the shore. It'll be another few days before there's much in the way of open water, but it's certainly happening and far too rotten to walk on safely.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    From driving by it in the morning, it appears that Fire Lake is just starting to pull back from the shore. It'll be another few days before there's much in the way of open water, but it's certainly happening and far too rotten to walk on safely.

Great!! I am looking to do some open water fishing and get my canoe on the water. I put away the ice fishing gear 2 weeks ago. Bring on the warm weather.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

Keppler Bradley in palmer is usualy the first lake I see open
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

in anchorage jewel lake is first to open,10' from shore is excellent fishing. schools of fish circle lake, about 30-45 minutes, all the larger fish will be in a school a little behing smaller fish. float bait right next to ice or toss a small spinner.jeff

Anyone know if Jewel is open/if it will be open by this weekend?

Wana launch the lil inflatable and catch some lunch!!!

Fishwhacker, Jewel was half open yesterday afternoon. You should be able to float and catch lunch this weekend.

Cambell Point and sand lake might make it by the weekend

Hey man thanks for the info!! Time to break out the raft n poles ( and lifejackets)

It looks like I was jumping the gun on Fire Lake. I took a closer look today. There is about a 40 yard gap open right by the outlet that would be enough for casting to cruising fish, but that's about it. There not yet enough for a canoe, and I don't know that there will be by the weekend unless it gets warmer over the next few days.

Jewel lake had a large section of ice about 1/6 of the lake on Tuesday. The ice was moving about with the winds and I had way too heavy a line to fish properly but i did anyways for a short bit. No luck but I'm headed back Thursday with proper gear. Maybe I can catch some dinner for myself and interest my lady in some cold water trout.

Default Clunie

Took the boys to clunie lake yesterday. Could not put a raft in, but walked on the other side and they caught a few each.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

I drove by Sand Lake this afternoon (Friday) and it appeared open. At least the eastern half of the lake. DeLong Lake is open as well.

Fire Lake was about 1/4 to 1/3 clear this morning at 6am, all at the end near the outlet. With the sun we had today, I bet it's even more open now. It would be worth a shot tomorrow with a canoe.

Im heading to jewel tomorow, Ill let you know how I do - but I just read a report on AOJ saying they caught a couple 10-12 inchers from shore, i can only imagine ill do better with my inflatable

Tight lines and get ready for the first fish of 08

Hell yeah

Headed to Jewel lake today

-NO ICE AT ALL

- Fish were harder to find than usual and would not consitantly bite anything but I managed to hook onto 4 and land and keep one-

They were all bigger than last year from about 8 inches - 12 inches

The one I kept was 9 inches

Nice to catch something! Winter is gonnnnnne

Friday afternoon I fished Cambell point lake and caught a 27" artic. It was silvery bright and put up a good fight. I released it so maybe I can catch it again tonight. There was a little ice moving with the wind but it should be gone now.

Are there any reports from big lake or flat lake on ice conditions, or hopefuly the lack there of.