Thread: No Luck on Fish

Default No Luck on Fish

Went north (from Anchortown) this weekend looking for 'bows and grayling - found neither. I fished the Little Su, Willow Creek higher up, and Little Willow Creek a bit up from the mouth. I did not see a single fish, much less get a nibble on the fly. I was fishing mostly nymphs. I tried little ones, big ones, black, really bright yellow, big bead-heads, no bead heads. I also tried a woolly bugger, both black and olive. I think I also threw something really weird looking named something I don't know. No dice. As I was leaving for the day, a guy from the area told me I should have tried flesh flies.

Anybody else having any luck in the Mat-Su drainages? I don't think I've tried it up there this early before. Is it just too early for those creeks? There was still a good amount of ice on the edges of the rivers and floating down. I don't know - it looked "fishy." I have to think I'm doing something wrong. Any ideas? Any advice appreciated.

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Default Flesh / ESL / Eggs

All in my humble opinion - I haven't been out yet this spring... but for what it's worth:

Flesh flies - almost white, touch of pink in them. The meat has been soaking all winter, gonna have a 'bleached' appearance.

Egg Sucking Leech - purple, black - various color eggs (reddish-orange or near white).

Beads - reddish-orange or near white. The red's will 'imitate' a fertilized egg, where the white -- well, notso fertile.

Default your ok

Just keep trying, you have the right idea Greg.

Thumbs up Agree

With this chilly spring the fish are not moving up at all yet. Your on the right path. Before you know it those nymphs and leeches and you will be fine
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Thanks!

Thanks a bunch for the words of encouragement. I will keep at it, and hopefully my next post will have a picture of me with a big, goofy smile and a big fish. Besides, there are certainly worse things to be doing than spending time on a stream throwing line, even if you really are only throwing line.

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

I was at Willow this Saturday as well. Didn't do any better than you did. It was a nice day to get out though. I think I will wait until the week after next to head back up that way. If you go this weekend, let us know how you did. It might determine if I go up in the middle of the week or not.

Talking Pics Greg

Im posting 5 pics. It will only allow me to do 2 at a time so there will post's to follow. If you cant open them up large enough to see let me know and Ill shoot them to you via email. I opened them on my comp and it had good detail

P.s. I dont have pics of my nymphs but the bead head princess nymph is our favorite
    Last edited by alaskachuck; 11-19-2008 at 20:27.

Talking set 2

here is another shot

Talking the leech and then some box

Here is the last pic

Default Thanks

Akchuck
    Thanks for the photos! Wanna go fishing? I will supply the beer, you supply the tackle box!

Thumbs up Boat too

I have the cataraft for the kenai also. Im thinking about willow saturday not floating but fishing. Either way you have a deal whenever we can meet up to fish. The scary part is I have 1 more box like those of leech's another of beads and like I said my nymph and beadhead box has about another 50 flys. Hey you can never be to prepared.

Cool. Gee if you throw the boat in that means I will have to bring beer and the food! Have a place at Caswell Lakes. Went up there this weekend still alot of snow off the main road. I will shoot you a PM next time I am thinking about heading up that way. Always looking for someone to fish with. Husband hates that I go fishing alone and sometimes don't get to go as offen as I would like or where I would like to fish.

PM and visitor message sent