Thread: Tire Size Question

Default Tire Size Question

We just our Sportsman 500 X2, and except for the winch, have added no accessories. I think I would like to go with aftermarket tires, although the stock ones seemed to perform well on the first couple outings. Loving the machine so far.

What is the largest size tires I can fit on the machine wihtout spacers or lifts, etc? What about if I went with aftermarket wheels? What is the largest size tire ya'll have seen as a benefit--i.e. before it boggs the power down too much? We ride two up fairly often, so do not want to go so large as to mess up the power or handling.

Thanks,

Will
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Default Got it!

Thanks for the help guys!!! I know it was a beaten question, but sometimes its good to rehash issues, because new information comes along that replaces or improves what was thought to be a fact before.

Anyway, without responses, I dug far enough back in the forums to decide that 26" tires should work well. So ordered up some ITP 589's in 26/12/12 and 26/9/12. Hope they fit fine--if not may be an excuse to add wheels too. I have been joking about pimping my ride, although my gal doesn't seem to find the humor in spinners and other kinds of bling on our olive drab wheeler--nor do I, but I sure get a kick out of joking with her about it.

Will
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Default Tires

I put those same tires on my Sportsman 500. They work great.
    With the stock rims the front ones rubbed my tie rod ends, so I had to order rims.
    I have a set of 4 wheel spacers if you dont want to replace the rims.
    Donnie

I think you'll be very happy with the 589's as a great tire. 26"ers will work just fine for you without making your low end suffer too much. I ride a Honda with 27" ITP's on it and love the tires great traction and the tread will last a long time.....you'll get you moneys worth outta them.