Thread: Baiting in GMU 1a no success

Default Baiting in GMU 1a no success

OK, I've been trying to bait this year and I've had no success. I'm looking for suggestions. I chose a spot near what looks like well used bear trail along a creek appox. 200 yards from the beach. It seems like a perfect area. A friend of mine spotted a big blackie there last year.

Ive used 100'bs of dog food, about 150 lbs of old fruit and veggies from the grocery store, 5lbs of potato salad, old greasy french fries, old sausages, 5lbs of sugar, maple syrup, and a bunch of rotten pork chops.

Ive stocked it 4 times in the last two weeks, Ive seen wolf tracks and some bear tracks but the food doesn't seem to disappear.

Any suggestions?

I was planning to hunt it this weekend.

Austin it makes no sense to waste your time sitting on a bait that isn't being hit yet. If this is the first year for the bait stand it will take awhile for the bears to find it.

Default bait

its still early I would bet sites start getting hit by this weekend or early next week 2 weeks ago was a bit early im not surprised you havent gotten a hit yet would be concerned if no activity by next week.

Default Don't Panic

Don't panic until the 24th. If you don't have something by then, then eject...

Default make the bait better?

Makes sense, I've seen fresh prints nearby so I know they're awake. It just seems like they'd have to notice the bait if they're walking nearby. Is there anything I can do do make it more attractive?

The local adfg biologist suggested I start baiting a week after the first bear siting in ketchikan, So thats when I started.

Thumbs up Make a scent sack

Get some scent up in the air and that typically helps alot as an attractant if the ground bait isn't working as good or yet. A 5 gal bucket of rotten eggs works REALLY gooooood... If you don't wanna go that route, try putting a burlap sack (sandbag) in a 5 gal bucket, open the sack and add 2 gals or so of water. Chuck in there lots of old paistries, 6 boxes of cherry or berry flavored powdered jello, anise, mollasses, cup cakes, twinkies, you get the point. Mix it all together, fill it as full as you want and put a lid on it. Take it to the bait site. Throw a rope, 550 chord, etc over another rope, chain, cable, etc that spans between 2 trees. Pop the bucket lid off, hoist it out of the bucket about 4 feet, stab it a few times with a knife and on up it goes. Get it 12+ feet. I mention cables and chains because if you have quillpigs (porcupines) around, you'll see why. They'll climb up and chew through your ropes and whatnot to get that thing on the ground so they can have at it. Anyways, it'll drip and drip and get that scent up in the wind currents. I've had bears literally eat the dirt and make a 2 foot wide by 1 foot deep hole in the ground where it dripped. Of course once they're in, the bait typically takes over and keeps them coming back. Hope that helps...

Default bait

sometimes if the bear hasnt released its plug yet, they will walk up to it and not eat just look around sniff and go back into the woods. I have had several do this before early in the season. I have even had them pull a game bags full of bait hanging from trees and found them stashed 50 yards from the bait under a tree and nothing eaten from the bag. That would explain the tracks. With the amount of bait you say you have out, theres not much more I could recommend maybe spray a lot of scent around the trees etc.
    Be patient they will come. I put my bait out saturday and dont expect anything for at least 7-10 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Stevenson View Post

Ive used 100'bs of dog food, about 150 lbs of old fruit and veggies from the grocery store, 5lbs of potato salad, old greasy french fries, old sausages, 5lbs of sugar, maple syrup, and a bunch of rotten pork chops.
    What kind of fruit? While I'm not suggesting this is the cause, citrus seems to throw bears off. Get some gross stinky stuff in there. I mean meat that will make you want to throw up. I've used various meats that could have been used as paint remover, and the bears have just gobbled that stuff up.

Just me but I stay away from the meat. Seems to bring in the brownies more than just dogfood and doughnuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Casper50 View Post
    Just me but I stay away from the meat. Seems to bring in the brownies more than just dogfood and doughnuts.
    I hear people say that, but I use meat as much as possible and have never had a griz come into my bait. I'm sure part of the reason I only get blacks is because there just aren't many grizzlies in my area. Does anyone have any griz encounters that they think can be attributed to the use of meat as bait? Have the numbers of grizzlies gone down since you stopped using meat, and started using sweets?

I kind of suspect that this rule of sweets for blacks, stinky meat for griz, is a rule that someone came up with a long time ago that hasn't really been tested. Anything that smells like food will bring bears in, whether it's pork that has sat in a bucket for 5 years, or a grease burn that you run for a couple hours every week. If your area has a healthy/large population of grizzlies, there is good chance of a griz showing up.

I believe one of the reasons you have blacks showing up for your dog food and doughnuts is because blacks generally have home ranges that are much smaller than those of grizzlies, and are therefore more likely to run across your bait as they are traveling around their range.

I'd stay away from rotten meat, too.

I do hang chicken and fish skins up high and inside my stink bucket, but anything that goes in that bait barrel is sweet and dry enough so that it doesn't mold.

Hang in there, the bears will come.

Default Good Advice

sounds like I Ill add a stink bucket. I'm not worried about brown bears, there aren't any-- its a black bear island. The fruit that I used was almost all strawberries and seedless grapes. I also used broccoli and celery, and a few peaches, they weren't really all that rotten, just bruised.

Is it worth it to do a honey burn?

Any ideas on how to make something stinky really really quickly? like in a day or two? Its still too cool for stuff to get really rotten sitting outside.

Is there any REAL benefit to getting out early for the "biggest bears" who supposedly wake up the earliest?

Default Yes

Do the honey burn. It's a great way to get massive scent throughout the area.

I use apple juice concentrate and marshmallows in a skillet, but honey is great too. The smoke is what you want, it coats the foilage in your area---the gift that keeps on giving....

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Stevenson View Post
    sounds like I Ill add a stink bucket. I'm not worried about brown bears, there aren't any-- its a black bear island. The fruit that I used was almost all strawberries and seedless grapes. I also used broccoli and celery, and a few peaches, they weren't really all that rotten, just bruised.

Is it worth it to do a honey burn?

Any ideas on how to make something stinky really really quickly? like in a day or two? Its still too cool for stuff to get really rotten sitting outside.

Is there any REAL benefit to getting out early for the "biggest bears" who supposedly wake up the earliest?
    I would put meat in a black bucket with a lid. With a little moisture inside, and the sun heating the bucket, you should be able to detect stink within a couple days.

I would say there is a benefit for getting your bait out early. There is enough evidence from F&G, private hunters, and guides for me to want my bait out as early as possible. Last year I was out on the snowmachine putting food out, and by the time the rivers broke up and everyone was getting to their stations for the first time, my bait was already getting hit.

We have had great luck on the next island over with shrimp heads. They get real stinky FAST.

Woody

I like to cook some bacon from my stand. I pour the grease over the dog food and eat the bacon. If no bears show up I at least had a tasty treat. The smell of the bacon cooking will travel both up and down the hills (up in the morning, down in the evening). It might just get them on their way to your stand.
    The last year I baited I had a bear come in about five times and only ate about two pounds of food. Not much. When we finally spotted him (and tagged him) it was a week later and he was eating like a pig. He was the largest bear taken on my stand, almost seven square.
    This was the last week in May so you have lots of time yet. Don't fret.