Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pot Puller Reviews

Default Pot Puller Reviews

I recently purchased a fusion king puller that is supposed to be rated for 100lbs. I used it for the first time last saturday and it struggled to bring in single and double pot sets in 2-3' chop.

Before you ask.... Battery was fully charged and being charged while operating. And I had the the rope straight while pulling (boat in gear hovering over pots).

Do any of you use the larger/newer version of the Fusion King puller that is rated for 120lbs? How about the Brutus ACE Pot puller? What kind of pull capacity in "real life" experience should I expect from these little pullers?

I do understand that 3' rises and falls with the waves creates forces that I can't even guess to actuall weight the puller needs to fight.

My goal was to run 2-double pot lines and 1 single.

Also note I run floating line with no weight in pots. No issues with lost pots.

Thanks,
    Gugs

Default Picture tomorrow

I will try to get a picture tomorrow. I bought a 3 1/2 Briggs with a 6/1 gear reduction and a capstan. I bolted it to two pieces of aluminum tubing that extent out about 8" from under the base. On the gunnel, I bolted two slightly larger pieces of tubing. The motor now slides into the gunnel pieces for pulling. For a pulley I think I have a Scotty puller that fits into the rod holder.

Works well as long as the waves are not spinning the boat around too bad.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default pullers

I use a quickcatch pot puller mounted on my bow. It's not ideal not having a davit but works well for me, also doubles as my anchor puller. It has absolutely no problem pulling my sets, one 3 pot and one 2 pot string, all weighted pots too. One has floating other has leaded rope. A friend just bought an ace line hauler but we've yet to use, he's concerned though after talking to Steve aka potbuilder at the sportsmans show about their reliability. Seems several people are having them go tango uniform on em....time will tell. Anyone else having problems with the Ace?

Talking shrimpies

DAVE! Don't catch em all save some for us North Pole guys!

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info so far. I had a homemade unit last year that worked pretty good but the gear motor was getting pretty wore out and worked intermittently.

I think gas power with gear box is the best bang for the buck as far as power/pulling capacity, but break down and storage of this puller is very important to me. I have a 22' Northriver.

Dave, I am very interested in your design. Pics would be great.

Anyone else have a lot of experience with ACE or Fusion pullers?

Gugs

Ditto on Dave's rig. Good pix would be excellent!

I've heard good things about the ACE unit, but it's also listed for only 100#. I called them once and they assured me that rocking in a chop was not an issue ...although we all know how hard a line pulls when the boat rocks away from the pot and rises on the chop at the same time. Isn't that why we all want power assisted pulling?

Hope more people chime in..

Brian

The small, portable units work ok, but a rating of 100 lbs is not enough IMO. I had the Safe-T-puller rated for 200 lbs on the old boat and put the same unit on the new boat. It works great. I longline 5 pots in depths down to 700' and it never skips a beat.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Mine works Great

PowerWinch Quick Catch Pot Puller

For safe, easy retrieval of prawn, lobster, shrimp and crab pots.
    • Handles unlimited rope lengths
    • Triple coated aluminum housing to withstand the harsh elements
    • Stainless steel internal shafts fasteners and hardware
    • Easy to operate foot switch for hands-free operation
    • One-piece heat-treated oil-impregnated metal gears
    • 200lbs Pull, 150' per minute retrieval
    • Handles up to 5/8" line
    • 80 amp Circuit breaker
    • Two year warranty
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Default that's the one

I have that same unit, pulls great and works for my anchor too.

Cody

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Kings View Post
    PowerWinch Quick Catch Pot Puller

For safe, easy retrieval of prawn, lobster, shrimp and crab pots.
    • Handles unlimited rope lengths
    • Triple coated aluminum housing to withstand the harsh elements
    • Stainless steel internal shafts fasteners and hardware
    • Easy to operate foot switch for hands-free operation
    • One-piece heat-treated oil-impregnated metal gears
    • 200lbs Pull, 150' per minute retrieval
    • Handles up to 5/8" line
    • 80 amp Circuit breaker
    • Two year warranty
    Somebody on this forum, I believe, fabricated a bracket for this unit that mounted on the gunnel. Perhaps they will chime in here. Looked pretty slick for what it is.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Ace line hauler?

I had the Fusion King and returned it last year. It barely had enough power to pull in a 3 pot string w/shrimp in it. If there was any wave action, forget about it. Another problem was with the sheave on the end of the davit. It had enough space between the sheave and the hangar for the line to slip in there. When this happened, it would cut the line and fray it.
    We replaced it with the Ace line hauler which appears to have a guard covering the sheave, but we haven't tried it yet.
    BK

Just in case you were interested in being able to pull a heavier load:

http://www.loghomestore.com/tools-ch...apstan%20Winch

They say it's good to about 2,000 to 2,500 pounds. Should suffice for those stubborn pots that wanna pull the coral up with them.

I run a Vickers hydraulic pump off my main using a 10" pinch block (crab block) with rope peeler. Very nice, no need to pull on the rope to keep lifting the pot, just coil the line as it comes aboard. Very fast, very stable, and very strong.

Default That be me

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Somebody on this forum, I believe, fabricated a bracket for this unit that mounted on the gunnel. Perhaps they will chime in here. Looked pretty slick for what it is.
    There were on this site, but my search found the pictures were gone, maybe to old?

I had been using the bouy system, but bought an ACE for this year. I haven't used mine yet, but in the directions for wiring it up it said if the wire is to small it is less powerful and slower. Anyone think of that who has an ACE? I hope mine works like it is suppose to or I'll only beable to catch small shrimp!

Captain Gugs...I can closely relate. Here is my Fushion King story. I bought the same unit you have last year. I drop 2 pots per line, ususally around 500 - 550 feet. The fushion kings flat out sucks!! I wouldn't pull worth a crap. I had to pull with all my might behind the fushion king (suppose to just keep tension on the line) just to keep it moving. If I got tired and let up....POP...I would blow the fuse. Then, have to change the fuse while the pots are suspended...and the shrimp are swimming out.

I took it off my boat and brought it into the shop to see if it actually had an issue. I did find one of the pulleys was too tight to free spin, so I bored it out and tested it again.

I had the same results!! I took it back into the shop to reexamine it, as it almost felt like the motor was dieing.

I opened it up and found no issues. It is just a piece of junk. I actually ended up smashing the cheesie plastic cover, in my frustrations of trying to fit it back on (wasn't going to fit back on for some reason).

I let it sit on my bench for 1 month. Every time I would look at it, I would get even more mad about the entire purchase. Seeing how it was now in pieces, thanks to my trusty rubber mallet, it was total garbage.

I boxed it all up, including every tiny scrap of broken plastic that I swept up, and set it back to Canada, to the manufacturer.

At this point, I wanted nothing back from them...just wanted to let them know that this puller is terrible, and that I am out $600 on the purchase. I simply wanted it gone from my house, and to voice my opinion.

Much to my surprise, they actually phoned my up and tried to make it right. They were just building their 2008 model (the one you asked about), but had none assembled. They assembled one and sent it out to me ASAP. They even paid for the shipping, which I offered to pay for.

Long story short, I got the new model...and it was pretty crappy too. It did work better than version 1, but just doesn't have the strength to pull the pots like it should. I used it for 1 weekend, then the season was over. But, I was not impressed at all. I liked their customer service, but not the product.

Bottom line, I am planning on selling the fushion king, and have already purchased the Honda 4hp, 4 stroke gas puller on the davit. It is reated to pull 500#, and 170-185 ft/min.

I just don't feel the electric pullers have the balls to pull from the depths that we drop. I have not been out yet, but will let you know how the Honda pulls after I try it. It has to be better!!

So, it is not you or your set-up....the puller is crap!!

Good luck....AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

Default Davits

The quick catch powerwinch is really sounding good about now..... Has anyone had a davit built in ANC? Looking for a 2 or 3 piece alum unit that would break down small enough to fit in my focastle.

Gugs

Default windless

The only problem with using the windless is the noise. I use a Ace line hauler and have not had a problem pulling pots. Usually only put on pot per line though.

Default Pics

Gugs, I will see if I can find the pic's of the mounting plate I made. AKBighorn bought his after he saw mine working. I have no complaints on mine, but at 4whlr mentions it is a bit noisy. The brass nut did come loose on the capstain, after a couple of uses, but only because it wasn't assembled well at the factory. I just tightened it up and staked the threads.

Default Here is an interesting combination...

All pics taken last summer in Homer.

Pic #1: Winch is mounted on davit for pulling pots, also is positioned to pull anchor as needed. If you have the room for
    a system like this, your winch can pull double duty.

Pic #2 & 3: Winch is mounted on a trailer hitch, can be positioned to
    pull anchor, then removed and placed on davit to pull pots.

SeaULater

Default Here are my pics

I made this so it hooks under the gunnel and mounted the switch so I can press with my knee, leaves both hands free. Mounted so it slightly hangs over the side so the rope clears the boat while pulling. Sorry about the size

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast