Thread: scandium guns: fiinish?

Default scandium guns: fiinish?

Does anybody know what the finish is on the steel parts of the scandium guns? Are they blued? I'd be paranoid that if I carried one on a camping trip, I'd have to oil it every night. I was wondering if a gun like the 329 takes any special maintenance. I realize the frame is probably annodized, but I wouldn't want to find a corroded barrel after coming home from a wet hiking trip.
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

Default Scandium S&W's appear to be alloys

For the Smith-Wesson revolvers in their catalog, it looks like scandium-stainless steel or scandium-titanium alloys, which should be corrosion-resistant. I haven't had any rusting or other corrosion with my 329PD - which gets a little rain, not much, up to 3-5 day trips. The only salt trip, was 5 days on Kodiak - No probs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    Does anybody know what the finish is on the steel parts of the scandium guns? Are they blued? I'd be paranoid that if I carried one on a camping trip, I'd have to oil it every night. I was wondering if a gun like the 329 takes any special maintenance. I realize the frame is probably annodized, but I wouldn't want to find a corroded barrel after coming home from a wet hiking trip.
    The internal parts are plain steel. They do seem to have some sort of galvanization or other rust proofing though. I am very tough on guns and never clean them. I changed my springs in my 329PD recently and there was no rust inside. I frequently swim with my 329PD strapped on. I oil this revolver about once a year and have no rust issues. I've had the same luck with my scandium .38j-frame also.

Default same here

I'd just like to say "ditto" to the other posters. The S&W 329pd is amazingly resistant to corrosion. I had this handgun and a Browning A-bolt in stainless/synthetic on an Afognak hunt last fall: after 10 days the Browning developed some "coffee stains" on its steel, but the handgun still looked brand new. Also, I believe the barrel is chrome lined, but double check the specs on that.

All good to hear. I'm almost sold on buying a scandium gun as a sidearm.

Default Great pistol, but...

if you get a chance, shoot one first.

Because they're light, they're lively too. It's the one thing (maybe two) that pretty consistently turns some people off about them. Although I've been happy with mine, it has a mind of its own for a moment after pulling the trigger on 44 mags and some consider the light frame too light to be a good handling gun.

Good luck.

Thumbs up S&w M329

Do a forum search for brownbear and his comments on his experience with his magnaported M329. The problem for many with the very light M329 is the violent muzzle jump. Magnaporting virtually eliminates muzzle jump, rendering it much more controllable. The 329 is the best option for an every day carry pistol for the woods in Alaska. Brownbear is a highly regarded hunting guide, with a very level head concerning firearms that do the job for Alaskans.

We have two 340PD's. Carried as mush as can be. They have way more recoil than the 329PD. The finish is the same, yes they wear, no they show no signs of corrosion. Recoil is not a factor in emergency situations. It darn sure is a factor when shooting for fun. These revolvers are not fun guns to shoot. They have a purpose, and that ain't fun.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    We have two 340PD's. Carried as mush as can be. They have way more recoil than the 329PD. The finish is the same, yes they wear, no they show no signs of corrosion. Recoil is not a factor in emergency situations. It darn sure is a factor when shooting for fun. These revolvers are not fun guns to shoot. They have a purpose, and that ain't fun.
    I bought my 329PD at the smith and wesson factory story. I was torn between the 500 and the 329. Before they actually let me try the 500 I was worried about the recoil, and was leaning towards the 44. The store manager quickly pulled out a chart and showed me that the 329 recoils more than any other gun that they make. I know the 340 recoils a lot, but this chart claimed the 329 recoiled more than it and the 4inch 500. If you buy the 329 first thing you should do is throw away the two grips that come with it and replace them with the 500 grip. It fits and is much wider that the factory supplied pachmayr grip and has padding over the backstrap (unlike the pachmayr). Your hand will appreciate that you bought the new grip.

Yeah, the recoil is what's holding me back from buying. I really need to try one out first. The 329's light weight is seductive, almost hypotizing... I handled one at a gunshop last year and was impressed. I'd want to get one magnaported and replace the grips with fat rubber ones before even shooting it. I was also concerned that the steel parts might be blued & prone to corrosion, but nobody has had problems with this, so the only thing left to think about is recoil.

Smith also has that new Nightguard model, but that 2 1/2" barrel sounds too short. It's actually heavier than the 4" model, probably due to the steel cylinder.

I had carpal tunnel problems from shooting the 329 with the factory supplied grips. Installing the x-frame grips decreased the recoil pain by 50%. It's a nice gun with light loads. I shoot IDPA with my 329 loaded with specials. If you don't have a lot of bigbore revolver experience I would pick another gun. I've seen this gun turn good shooters bad. You can develop a really bad flinch with it. The only reason I bought one was swimming. Every time I guide a trip I wind up swimming for some reason. Swimming with a redhawk or 500 isn't fun.

Sorry about sidetracking the thread, but Springer - that avatar photo, I hope that turned out better than it looks right there! Whoa!

Everything turned out OK. The water was warm. The river is the New River in WV, the rapid is called surprise. It's the first rapid in the New River gorge. It's a set of gradually building waves, which are easy to sneak around (but no fun to do that). The wave is about 12ft in this picture. I was on this river three years ago on memorial day. It rained for a week straight before we arrived. The haystacks and standing waves were 15-20 feet high. That's no typo, the river was running at over 100,000cfs. The river is usually rated as big class 3, it was an honest class 5 day.

Default 329pd

I am one happy owner of the 329PD. I mainly shoot (and reload my own) 44 spec. and some magnum loads. I recently replaced the original grips with the model 500 grip - what a positive difference that makes.
    What loads do you all shoot through your 329s?

Quote Originally Posted by iam4fishin View Post
    I am one happy owner of the 329PD. I mainly shoot (and reload my own) 44 spec. and some magnum loads. I recently replaced the original grips with the model 500 grip - what a positive difference that makes.
    What loads do you all shoot through your 329s?
    300 Gr Federal Cast cores. I do this because the bullet is a good design (huge meplat and very hard) and that it is loaded quite hot. Also the short overall lenght is important in the 329. The short lenght gives you more room in case of crimp jump issues.