Thread: interior lakes

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default interior lakes

anyone have a clue when they think paxson or lake louise will be going out this year?

Right around the end May/beginning of June. I think it was last year(maybe the year before) Memorial Day they still had ice on Louise. I like to go up about a week after ice out, so generally about the 2nd week in June is when we hit the water.
    Last edited by Dupont Spinner; 05-05-2008 at 11:25. Reason: spelling

Default Why is it you like to go a week after the ice is out.

Louise is one beautiful lake but we normally hit it much later in the summer.

Default It's a secret

But if you know anything about the fish in that lake, you'll figure it out!!

Last year it was iced up on the 2nd of June...this year looks worse from what I hear up there. Good way to check is to call the Lodge. Eureka Lodge`s little lake goes out about the same time....so you could always give them a call as well.

Default Not too soon!!!

I still have a couple more weekends I was "hoping" to get in before the ice goes out....

Last Saturday the lake was still well frozen with slush and snow on top. The ice under was clear. We hauled in about 5000 pounds of freight. I drove from Valdez today and there were many lakes with 3-6 feet of water around the shore. It was 50 degrees.

Call one of the lodges for current conditions.

I catch some pretty decent Lakers.......one afternoon we caught 7 BIG Lakers and some real nice Burbot from the shore. Having some fun we were releasing them saying they were not big enough to some folks not having much luck and being butt heads.

I believe Lake Louise is going to produce the next state record Lake Trout (hopefully with my name next to it) if people don't get greedy. I have seen some logs laying in the sun that I would estimate at 30 pounds plus easily. Just can't get them on my line....yet.....