Thread: They're Out

Default They're Out

Reports of sows with cubs, one set with last year's cubs and one set with new ones across the highway from Ft. Rich... spotted by the firing ranges of all places. Rooting through the trash.

If I were a bear... I dunno; the firing range at a military base seems like an odd place to take your cubs.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Default Still untouched

Checked the bait station this weekend, and still untouched. But your report gives me hope for this coming weekend.
    Although some can call it Catchin', I still have to call it fishin'.

My neighbor told me their was a black bear in the back yard on Friday morning. Wish I would've known....
    Johnny

Saw one going north on the Glenn just past ship creek behind the fence, could be the same one at the range. Noticed on Friday night 7pm.

I am hoping to get back into hunter creek and look for blackies but I won't be back in AK till the 17th and the earliest I could get up there is the 24th or 25th I wonder if I will be too late? I am really just trying to give the sheep a rest and take out some of the blackies that prey on the lambs in that area. I guess I look at it as a form of "payment" for drawing a chugach sheep tag

LuJon - That won't be too late at all. Actually, that will be about prime time for such a bear hunt, particularly if you're going to be getting up towards tree line.

Default perfect

Last week of May is perfect timing. We hit our first bear at our treeline bait in the Knik Valley May 17 last year, had our first sighting May 13. It was getting hit the hardest the last 2 weeks of season after we'd taken two bear off it.

Default Hunter Creek

Hunter Creek area was hit pretty hard last year. The locals around there have their own natural "bait" w/chicken coops and what not. I know of at least 4 bears that got harvested out there last spring... not to be discouraging or anything - the more you take the less moose and sheep suffer
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Quote Originally Posted by Back Country Robb View Post
    Hunter Creek area was hit pretty hard last year. The locals around there have their own natural "bait" w/chicken coops and what not. I know of at least 4 bears that got harvested out there last spring... not to be discouraging or anything - the more you take the less moose and sheep suffer

We still have lots of Bears, 4 scat piles within 200 yards of the house, I don't have chickens and keep the garbage area well maintained.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I am going to spend some time up there and I will be meat hunting so if it doesn't have cubs and it presents a good shot it dies! I am hoping to get the one that is eyeing my 40" ram! I will probably hike up from my buddies property and glass along thebsouth facing slopes on the north side of the east fork of the valley. There has always been a bunch of ewes and lambs there and I frequently watched the bears stalk them. They even stalked us on a couple of occasions.
    I wonder if I could fool them with a white rag for a decoy and a fawn in distress call.