Thread: whittier ?

Default whittier ?

has anyone caught any fish out of whittier yet? heading down this weekend and was wondering. depending on seas but plan to do a full day.lot cleared yet? any info is appreciated . thanks jeff

Default Parking Lot

Not sure about the fishing...got some shrimp though. As for the parking lot, they were clearing Wednesday and it was supposedly opening on Thursday or Friday. I just parked there at the harbor without any hassle. The young lady at the harbor master's office said the city had been going easy on it since it was slow but they were to begin enforcement last Friday. Hope this helps.
    Shane

Default Saturday Update

Was there on 5/3. All truck & trailer parking has to be done at the lot accross the tracks. LOTS of snow there off the roads, but the roads, launches, and parking lots near the harbor are completly dry. The lot across the tracks has blowed isles thru the deep snow to allow parking. It's wet and not able to handle full capacity, but it works. Looks like snow could be at ground level until June or later!

As for the fishing report.... Too windy to get out of the bay for my 22' Seahawk. Motorored around waiting for the shrimp to jump in the pots.

Gugs

Default Fish Deep...

Quote Originally Posted by akfun View Post
    has anyone caught any fish out of whittier yet? heading down this weekend and was wondering. depending on seas but plan to do a full day.lot cleared yet? any info is appreciated . thanks jeff
    We Caught 6 halibuts in half day on April 19th out of 1500 deep by Ester Island. Biggest was 80# and two 40#ers and few smaller. There are fish but you need to fish deep this time of the year.

Here is picture of friend holding 80# er.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cool

Luke, Your story along with your photo sounds fishy??? What kind of reel holds 1500 feet of line for catching halibut???

big electric ones...

Talking I can vouch for Lukes reels.

I think he can fish any depth he wants to with those rigs. He regularly fishes 2000 feet plus for Black Cod. Big electric reels come in handy sometimes.

Talking Girlie Reels

Quote Originally Posted by kaisersosei View Post
    I think he can fish any depth he wants to with those rigs. He regularly fishes 2000 feet plus for Black Cod. Big electric reels come in handy sometimes.
    Now how can you appriciate that fish if you didn't use a little elbow grease and sweat a little. It cheating!!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default I guess I girlie in that regard...but

I would hate to manually crank 2000 feet with a 5 pound weight on it for a bait check.

Default Sheesh

My arms hurt just thinking about that. ouch... See?
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Default 3500'

Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    Luke, Your story along with your photo sounds fishy??? What kind of reel holds 1500 feet of line for catching halibut???
    Here is one that will hold 3500' of 100# line.
    Attached Images Attached Images

LUKE,

I take it you are not anchoring so how are you staying on spot long enough for your line to hit bottom?
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default electric reels

You drift fish and hold on to the rods. 3 pound to 4 pound weight 65 pound test line. Miya Epoch 700dt reels that will easily reach that deep.

Smile

That's a monster reel! I think that would be interesting to fish that deep, might catch something weird.

Default Sea Anchor

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    LUKE,

I take it you are not anchoring so how are you staying on spot long enough for your line to hit bottom?
    I use two sea anchor, which will reduce drift speed in half or more and use 1# sinker.

Just got back from PWS, pulled up two 60# and two 20#ers from 1500'. Also got about 70# of shrimp for the first time.

Luke