Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Bear out of Homer?

Default Black Bear out of Homer?

I'm planning on boating out to Port Chatham or Port Dick later this week to go after black bear / halibut. Does anyone have a report on bear activity down in the Homer area? Thanks.

Dave

Default Anybody??

Anybody been over there hunting for black bear?

Still lots of snow...right down to the beach on the north, and very very little green showing , but things should improve by this coming weekend.

i know the big live-aboards have been out the last week or so. 3 or 4 out of homer, and a few others have been in the harbor here loading up. not sure how well they have been doing. i know that they have been hunting across the bay here some due to weather, and then heading to the outer coast
    i am taking my first couple hunters over this thursday, i'll let you know how they did sunday night...
    still pretty chilly down here.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default We saw some bears there this weekend.

Including a nice one that we stalked pretty close to but couldn't get a good shot at. You should know, you were driving the boat. That was fun and it was a hoot taking your boys after that bear! They're going to be some great bearhunters.

Default where

were they up high or have they started to come down into the flats?? thx

Greg

guys i picked up just saw them up high. they got one and missed a couple stalks. saw 8-9 overall in 3 days. dropped a party of 4 off today and will pick them up saturday. they have a zodiac and snowshoes too, eo thay have the bases covered<grin>.
    the weather has been evil on the outer coast

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    guys i picked up just saw them up high. they got one and missed a couple stalks. saw 8-9 overall in 3 days. dropped a party of 4 off today and will pick them up saturday. they have a zodiac and snowshoes too, eo thay have the bases covered<grin>.
    the weather has been evil on the outer coast
    Those guys you dropped off yesterday are getting hammerd with bad weather !!!!!!
    I am up on East Skyline over looking the bay and Holy Smokes it is Howling ,overcast , cold and snowing at times .
    I bet those guys are huddled up somewhere .

Where is that Global Warming ???

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Talking hey rick..

we gotta be neighbors....
    how ya like them mudholes on skyline?

I think we all must be neighbors. I about lost my car into one of those holes. I saw a Blackie on my way to work this morning though. Made my day.
    Last edited by akcowgirl; 05-14-2008 at 14:25. Reason: Spelling

Default Homer Bears

HELLO SKYLINE NEIGHBORS, I'm out past McNeil School on Hubbard and yes you do have ruts up there !

Default hey cowgirl...

where did you see the bear?
    we had fresh tracks on our trail this morning.

homerdave

I am still on the pavement and do not have to go over those car killers !!!!
    I am not to far from Senic about a mile or so from the the cutoff.

We usually have a couple Black bears that like to get into the back of our pickup .
    We had some family up from The lower 48 last year and one of them is out on our deck and says there is a black dog in the back of your truck !!!!
    I went and looked and it was the yearling , maybe 100 pounds .
    He stood up for pictures with his paws on the cab ,photo op for sure .
    I said let me go get my rifle and you could of herd a pin drop ,did I mention they were from California ?? and yes very green .
    I just wanted to get a rise out of them and it worked !!!!

RR

USS SARATOGA CV-60

homerdave:I saw the bear out by the Y where east and west skiline met east hill. Just before were they are putting in that new house. It was pretty small.
    RANGER RICK: You are lucky right now, there are someplaces you could loose a small car into I think. That story is pretty good. Sounds like something we would do.
    giavuc: Hi how is the road holding up out where you are? We used to live out that way and hunted that area a little.
    Take care of the earth. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children.

Talking

yeah, what do you think of that house, eh? looks like an F-troop garrison built out of lincoln
    logs.
    out of staters (NJ) planning to move here... bought a lot in bear cove too... might be a lot of freight runs <grin>
    so you live down eaglescary? did you go to school with Tocia?

akcowgirl, just drove on our road yesterday, first time in quite a bit. no bears here yet

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    yeah, what do you think of that house, eh? looks like an F-troop garrison built out of lincoln
    logs.
    out of staters (NJ) planning to move here... bought a lot in bear cove too... might be a lot of freight runs <grin>
    so you live down eaglescary? did you go to school with Tocia?
    HD

That is the same thought I had , a LINCOLN LOG HOME !!!!

RR

USS SARATOGA CV-60

homerdave: I though the exact same thing, looks like lincon logs. Yes I live down eaglscary (that is pretty good I have not heard that one.) I was a little worried about this winter but it was not bad. It is worse this spring. There is a sink hole you could loose a VW bug into. Yeah I did go to school with Tocia, she was a year ahead of me I think but we were friends. Hmmmm sound like you should approach them with a frieght deal. sounds lucrative.

Take care of the earth. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children.

Default latest report

i picked up 2 guys who had been at the head of tutka for a couple days. they saw one bear on the tidal flats right at dark, and again the next morning but were unable to get a shot.
    they said that several boats came in at late in the day both nights they were there, and they saw several other parties. when i picked them up a party of 4 was just arriving.

4 guys who were at the head of sadie got 3 bears, 1 big boar and a couple smaller sows.
    they saw 10-15 bears, all up high. none on the flats. there were 3 other camps there this afternoon, and the south slope 1/2 way into the cove seems to be under surveillance nearly 24/7 with boats coming and going all day. 2 big boats from homer spent the night, one left early for the outer coast, and the other spent most of one morning glassing but nobody went ashore.
    they said that most of the time they could see at least one bear somewhere, but many were in areas that were really hard to approach....steep, snowy, above treeline or all three.

all in all it sounds like the bears are starting to come down, but there is lots of pressure.

So it is safe to assume that we are going to have a lot of other hunters around us at Haystack next week? I was hoping to be left alone to bowhunt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast