Thread: optimax sportjet heater problem

Default optimax sportjet heater problem

Fellow jet boaters,

Anyone know where I can get a starboard winshield wiper (fell off) and a heater core for my 2007 jetcraft XS? Does the boat shop carry that stuff or Ak miners/divers for idiots who forget to flush the system of water before winter, and have it crack? WOuld Mercury have that stuff or Jetcraft in canada? I want to get the least costly yet fastest solution prior to our next boating trip.

Your help is appreciated in advance!!

just a suggestion, call around and see what the cost is for repair or rebuid. i do hvac in anchorage and not sure where they get it done but it is often cheaper than getting a new one. radiator shop is one posibility,since that is all a heating coil is anyway. hope this helps.jeff

I did the same thing a couple years ago. Bought a couple heater cores for spares and since then have gotten better at winterizing. Let me know if you're interested in one.

I am sure The Boat Shop has both the core and wiper.

Is there something else that needs done other than draining the lines under the core or does water remain in the core even when the lines are pulled? I keep my XS in a heated shop all winter but in the fall while on the river I drain the core on cold nights or so I think I do. I have a T in one of the lines that feeds the core, I just pull the cap on the T and blow out the water while pinching the line below the T. Is this enough?

Default Wiper

From one Redneck to another, I have one. Brand new, but can't help out on the heater core. Where are ya located?

I am in anchorage. I called the boat shop in fbks this am and they have a heater core and wiper blade in stock. I can fix it myself no problem, but I alos want the official recommendation on how to properly drain it so it doesn't hapen again.

I also spoke to the boat shop and they said that overheating of the engine can happen if there is blockage of the heater core (coil) and the engine is run for a period of time. How does this ahppen and how is the cooling system connected to the heater coil/core? I have to go look when I get home, but I don't understand the plumbing wiothout looking at it in person. DO any of ouu know thna I do?

Quote Originally Posted by redneck doctor View Post
    I am in anchorage. I called the boat shop in fbks this am and they have a heater core and wiper blade in stock. I can fix it myself no problem, but I alos want the official recommendation on how to properly drain it so it doesn't hapen again.

I also spoke to the boat shop and they said that overheating of the engine can happen if there is blockage of the heater core (coil) and the engine is run for a period of time. How does this ahppen and how is the cooling system connected to the heater coil/core? I have to go look when I get home, but I don't understand the plumbing wiothout looking at it in person. DO any of ouu know thna I do?
    usually a blockage is caused by frozen lines or a collection of river debris/sand....

I had a blockage issue, I simply cut the hoses running from the particulate filter up to the heater and back to the motor... problem solved...the down fall now is I have no heater, but the thing never put out heat when I needed it anyways, only when on step did it put out heat...one less thing for me to worry about...

Crumm, Your description of draining the heater for the winter is all I ever heard of as well...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....