Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will a GoreTex hunting outfit suffice for raingear?

Default Will a GoreTex hunting outfit suffice for raingear?

The thread on a moose packing list made me think about this. I have an Extreme Whitetail 2-piece hunting outfit from Cabela's. It is GoreTex outerlined and waterproof. I know this from being in light rains with this on. Do I also need a separate set of raingear, too, or will this suffice?

BTW, this is for moose/bear hunting in AK.

I'm not familiar with the product, but it should work.

I wear an older North Face rain jacket, no liner, just a shell. For pants I wear Helly Hansen Impertech bibs.

Default Gore Tex is a No Go

RJ,

I would not recommend Gore-Tex for any serious Alaska hunt for the simple reason that it will eventually leak; usually around the seams at the shoulders and arms. Pretty much anywhere a needle and thread has penetrated the material, it will eventually leak.

Go with Helly Hansen Impertech instead. It's tough, quiet and 100% waterproof. Yes, you will get some condensation inside, but the trade-off is worth it. For guiding I have had the opportunity to spend top dollar for all my gear, and I can tell you that if money could buy better rain gear, I would have it.

If you want to read the numerous posts on this topic, and it comes up multiple times every year here, search the Old Hunting Forum archives for Helly Hansen Impertech. You'll get both sides of the story.

I usually come on strong on things like this (I'm so predictable that way), because you never know when your hunt will turn into a survival situation; especially in the remote parts of Alaska. Bad raingear can get you killed under certain conditions. In other places when things get miserable you just go back to the truck, fire up the heater and drive home. Here, you sit under a tree and shiver, praying to God that the plane comes back on schedule and that you make it until then. That sounds a bit melodramatic, but hardly a year goes by that we don't lose someone to hypothermia because they weren't prepared with the right gear.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Cabelas Guidewear

I have always worn my cabelas guidewear raingear for all my hunting and fishing I do. I live out in western Alaska where it does not just rain but it rains sideways. I have yet to be wet in them.

Default Goretex

If you are talking about standard issue goretex the answer is no I wouldn't use it for rain gear. I got quite a few sets of it and it seems that no matter how much the rain is coming down it only takes about 1 hour and the goretex is soaked all the way through. I would spend the extra money and get quality rain gear to take on your trip.

I have a gortex jacket that will not stay dry. For what that is worth I would buy some decent rain gear. Eventhough they claim %100 waterproof that doesnt last very long.

Hunting a few years back I had a buddy with the Cabela's $400 gortex "system", after returing to camp after a good day of rainfall his statement was "Man, this stuff is great, I barely got wet". Looked at him and showed him my Helly Hansen lightweight raingear (not enought money for the impertech) and told him "For $360 less I DIDN'T get wet".
    I have a hard time understanding the theory of Gor-tex, how can something Breathable be 100% waterproof? Fact of the matter is that it cannot. period. end of story. Go with something like a Impertech, or in my case the lightweight because it WILL rain here during hunting season and you Will get wet if not protected.

I found the following in an article from Outdoors Directory:

Of the new so-called waterproof products, here is how I rank them through thoroughly testing each one: Prioritized considerations were waterproof ability, durability, warmth, and functional use.

1. Cabelas MT050 Hunting Jacket & Pants with GORE-TEX
    2. Quickloader Omni-Quad Parka from Columbia Sportswear with HydroPlus
    3. Browning HydroFleece Pro Parka with GORE-TEX
    4. Revolution Fleece Parka by Cabelas with Dry-Plus

Granted all of these waterproof fabrics eventually wear out and usually within a couple of seasons or so.
    The last statement is probably key. I'll use the Cabela's gear and report back one way or another this Fall.

Actually, I thought about this and reflected on the few hunting trips where I have not been properly prepared and how miserable they were. I therefore went ahead and ordered a set of the Impertech rain gear today, which will serve as a backup.

I have a feeling the Impertech won't be a back up very long!

I will be sure to give a report in the Fall. If the Cabelas fails, you can be sure they will hear about it. Between the parka and pants, I have around $500 in that outfit and I expect "waterproof" to mean "waterproof".

Default waterproof vs water-resistant

Quote Originally Posted by rock_jock
    I will be sure to give a report in the Fall. If the Cabelas fails, you can be sure they will hear about it. Between the parka and pants, I have around $500 in that outfit and I expect "waterproof" to mean "waterproof".
    The English language is a wonderful thing <grin>. I came to find out from a manufacturer that "waterproof" and "water-resistant" were two different things! "Waterproof" (in advertising lingo these days) means it will repel water for a certain duration. Could be one minute, one hour, etc. "Water-resistant" means water won't get through, period. For example, you'll see a lot of electronic devices (walkie talkies, cameras) that will say "waterproof." Sure.

Good luck and hope you stay dry,
    Mark

Default Silicone spray

Silicone treatment will help most garments be a little more water friendly. You pay a lot for products like Camp Dry, or you can pay less for 100 percent silicone at you local hardward store. Most fabrics (other than rubberized) can be encouraged to keep you dryer. I spray my rain fly, boots, gloves, hats etc. , cotton, canvas, leather, its seems to work on most. It will discolor, but you are not trying for a fashion statement. For the coastal areas, it is hard to beat a helly hansen rubber coated product, however, when you work in them you will be nearly as wet with sweat as if you were in the rain. No one system seems to be perfect.

I've been trying various brands of goretex over the years, and I've never been happy with it. It never breathes enough, and it istn't waterproof.

When the clothing is new, it works so/so, but it really is a two part deal. The outside has a coating applied to cause water to bead up and run off, but when it get's dirty or worn, the water no longer beads up, and the nylen shell gets wet and heavy.

Give me good fleece, it keeps you warm, breathes, and in a drizzle doesn't get too wet. When it's really raining, put on rain gear.

Shedding gear can be a PITA, but I've yet to find a wonder material that works in all conditions.

I have found that the biggest key to staying warm (not dry, no such thing) in wet conditions is to use raingear that does not have any sort of liner in it. Those are invaribly made of a material that act as a sponge. With a thermal layer, fleece layer, and unlined rainjacket layer, a guy should be comfortable down to 32F.

For those of you who have worn Helly Hansen Impertech, is it tough enough for brush busting? I've heard rave reviews about it, but when I looked at the Impertech in the store it felt incredibly thin and I thought it would rip easily.
    BTW, for you guys who live in Alaska or who have hunted there, do you ever see guys wear the commercial Helly Hansen or Grundens? I've been to a few sites where they recommend these products the most.

Default Helly Hansen

One of the only 2 sheep I got I owe to commercial grade Helly Hansen raingear. I spent all day, and I mean ALL day sitting in one spot at 5,000 foot level in hard wind, pouring rain and sleet. I was watching a small group of rams, hoping they would work their way off the crags into some huntable area, they finally did at the end of the day.

I remember thinking how glad I was to have brought along my heavy helly hansen coat and pants ( I had just returned from commercial fishing in the same stuff). I don't think I would have lasted that long in lesser gear.

Check out what this guide is wearing. (posted at 24hourcampfire)

http://docdb.smugmug.com/photos/60181662-L.jpg

Default Impertech is TOUGH

Quote Originally Posted by leatherneck
    For those of you who have worn Helly Hansen Impertech, is it tough enough for brush busting? I've heard rave reviews about it, but when I looked at the Impertech in the store it felt incredibly thin and I thought it would rip easily.
    BTW, for you guys who live in Alaska or who have hunted there, do you ever see guys wear the commercial Helly Hansen or Grundens? I've been to a few sites where they recommend these products the most.
    Leatherneck,

I've been using it for guiding hunters in Alaska and have found it to be surprisingly tough. Mine has never ripped, and never leaked. I thought the same thing as you the first time I saw it; it looked flimsy and cheap. But appearances are sometimes deceiving, and I have found it to not only meet, but exceed my expectations. I used to use Kool-Dri rain gear, a urethane laminated nylon material that is tough and highly waterproof, but the HH Impertech is far superior.

I wouldn't go with the commercial fishing stuff though. I'm sure it works fine, but it's a lot heavier and the Impertech does the job very well anyway.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast