Thread: Down rigging for hallies

Default Down rigging for hallies

Has anybody ever tried dropping down downriggers with releases for fishing during tidal flow? I read about this in Batin's book, and it seems like it would work well. Still have to pull up that anchor though!.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Has anybody ever tried dropping down downriggers with releases for fishing during tidal flow? I read about this in Batin's book, and it seems like it would work well. Still have to pull up that anchor though!.
    My dad and I have done it a time or two. It works okay, just as much of a pain reeling the weight up unless you are running electric.

Default Seems...

... like if you had the proper release clip, were in fairly shallow water such as off Deep Creek or Seldovia Bluffs, and used a resilient bait such as Gulp or octopus, it would work well. I don't think you would know if you had a chicken on, but a big fish would pull out of the release and you could fight it without the usual halibut weight to contend with. Plus you wouldn't constantly be trying to keep your bait on the bottom in a strong current.

Default tried it

I tried it and it was a pain. I got fish wrapped in the cables and it seemed like the work of dealing with the gear was not worth the hassel.

I thought is was a good idea too but my line got spun around the cable and then I had a big fish stuck on the cable and pulled one ball around the other....I guess it was a total nightmare now that I think back on it...

just my expereince it might work fine in other applications.

Default Gotcha

That sounds reasonable to me Cap. I hadn't thought about that aspect.

Default no go with the riggers

The only place you might get away with downrigging for halibut is homer simply because it is smooth sandy bottom in most places. It is a huge pain and you get alot of lines and fish wrapped up and you will never win that battle. And if you snagged on the bottom be careful those cables will take your fingers off if you aren't aware.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Halibut with downrigger

I tried it once and it worked well. I was in heavy current about 140ft, paid out about 15ft of line behind the release clip and set it to the heaviest position. Lowered it slowly and went into standby mode. When I got a bite I could tell when the release clip released and fed out a bit more line,approx 10ft and waited for more action.Hit the auto up on the rigger and moments later had a 45lbs halibut hooked soild on the line. I would like to say how neat it was to bring the fish up with no weight but it was a moot point as the current was howling by and the drag of the fish was substantial.
    Bottom line: I will try it again

Wink I hate it when that happens

[quote=AKCAPT;263260].. and pulled one ball around the other....
    quote]
    Ouch!
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

When I was a kid, my Dad and I had our Canon's tied to the depth sounder... they've got a feature that will raise and lower to keep them 5', 10', etc off the bottom... if you're in an area with a semi-even bottom it works well... when we started to hit rock piles with 20'+ of relief, however, it was a pain... never anchored with them out... just trolled along the bottom out in the flats past Pelican. Every time we'd get near a hole or hill, a big ling or 'butt will snap up the herring without question...

Fair warning to new charter operators, however: ADF&G looks at this practice as "trolling effort" (like for salmon) and NOT "bottom fish effort"? Apparently nobody at F&G thinks you can apply one technique to another fishery! ;-)

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]