Thread: 24ft Thunder Jet

Default 24ft Thunder Jet

I have a friend that just got a 24ft Thunder Jet with a 460 and a berkly jet. Anyone have anytime with a V bowed river boat like this. We are trying to get a ballpark guess at what it will burn an hour. I know conditions, speed, load, ect... Just a rough average from anyone that may have run a setup like this.

Thanks Steve

My 21' with a 350ci, single stage Hamilton jet burns ~ 8-10 gph.

I would guess your friends set up would be ~12-14 gph. with the bigger boat, motor, and 3 stage jet.

I also run a 21' North River w/ Fuel Injected Chevy 454 & Hamliton 212. I average 8-10 gph (on flow scan) running between 2800 to 3200 rpm's. Get up into the 4000 rpm area and we start seeing double digit consumption. At WOT I burn about 18 to 20 gph.

Default Wow!

I have a 21' Thunderjet w/ 350ci. I dont have a floscan or any electronic fuel consumption devices but estimate wy fuel use around 12/gph. If there is something I can do to improve this I am all ears.

Question kodiak jet

Anybody know of a good impeller combination for kodiak 3 stage with a 460 and a 25 foot boat?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptNemo View Post
    I have a 21' Thunderjet w/ 350ci. I dont have a floscan or any electronic fuel consumption devices but estimate wy fuel use around 12/gph. If there is something I can do to improve this I am all ears.
    1st is when was the last time you had the impeller and sleeve matched?
    What Rpm's are running at WOT? This will dictate what impeller changes you can make. Most times just going to the turbo impeller would help.

A-1 can be a good source of info and can get you dialed in better.

Also consider a good bottom waxing(your boat). This can be one of the easiest things to do for improving economy and speed.

I am getting ready to do some heavy modifing on my Hamliton and will let you know what improvememnts I see, if any at all. I did a couple of things to my engine (reason the floscan was installed)late season last year and need to run it this year again to see if my results remain the same.

Red face consumption

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I have a friend that just got a 24ft Thunder Jet with a 460 and a berkly jet. Anyone have anytime with a V bowed river boat like this. We are trying to get a ballpark guess at what it will burn an hour. I know conditions, speed, load, ect... Just a rough average from anyone that may have run a setup like this.

Thanks Steve
    Look at it this way on top of your boat payment, boat insurace, launch fees, beer, soda, cheetos, itll cost you about 70 dollars an hour to run the that baby.

Quote Originally Posted by northriver21 View Post
    My 21' with a 350ci, single stage Hamilton jet burns ~ 8-10 gph.

I would guess your friends set up would be ~12-14 gph. with the bigger boat, motor, and 3 stage jet.

berkly is a single stage not three

Default Fuel

Is there a big change in fuel use going from a single stage to a two or three stage jet?
    Cheers
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by UM_Zac View Post
    berkly is a single stage not three
    Stid2677 has a 3 stage.......it's either that or we figure out his problem of no top end when he stuff those three new impellers into his jet unit.

I Run a 22' Duckworth that weigh 4000lbs, 460 and 3 stage hamilton 778 jet, Radical 24 primary followed with two 24's. Brand new without wear 3100 rpm 36 mph, 10.5 gph

Quote Originally Posted by willster33 View Post
    Is there a big change in fuel use going from a single stage to a two or three stage jet?
    Cheers
    Will
    Generally a 3 stage is better for a heavier boat. A single stage is basically a volume pump and a multi stage is more of a pressure pump. Also a multi stage pump may have a narrower outlet.

So I guess the answer to your question can be yes, you may gain some more top speed and a little better fuel mileage. I don't believe it would be enough to run out and change to a multistage pump thou.

Now the down side to multistage pumps....they just do not process debris as easily as a single stage. Most times you can clear a single stage pump thru the inspection cover or thru the nozzle.

If you have ever watch Jet Sprint Boat Racing those guys mostly run 2 stage pumps, but at a whole lot more HP/R's then we are turning.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    Stid2677 has a 3 stage.......it's either that or we figure out his problem of no top end when he stuff those three new impellers into his jet unit.
    He may have a 3 stage but his friend that he stated in his original post has a single stage berkly in his 24 foot T Jet so stuff away with those impellers...

Default Um Zac is correct

Berkeley never made a multistage pump, so either stid2677 doesn't have a berkeley or he was told incorrectly on which pump he has.

A single stage jet like a berkeley or any of the american turbines are mixed flow pumps which are pressure pumps. They suck water into the bowl compress the water from one side of the impeller and force the water to the other side of the impeller and squeeze the the water out a narrow nozzle. This is why single stage pumps do not handle slow speed docking control as well as multistage pumps. Also the inspection cover is nice to retreive debris but a multistage pump will not hold a stick like a single stage, it chews it up through 2 or 3 impellers then spits it out, a single stage will hold the stick on one side of the impeller and sometimes not let it pass through.

A multistage pump is a axial flow pump or volume pump. It draws a large amount of water through the intake and pushes it through 2 or 3 impellers and out a big nozzle. If you look at a 3 stage pump the body is long and sleek, a single stage has a large bowl and a small nozzle to create pressure. A multistage pump is easier to dock and control at lower rpm because it dosen't require excessive rpm to slowly move the boat around, the large amount of water coming out the nozzle helps move the boat unlike a single stage which requries more pressure to achieve the same cfm out the nozzle which requires more rpm to move the boat durning docking situations.

A single stage pump is designed for lighter loads and non areated water, A multi stage pump is designed for heavier loads and areated water, the 2nd and 3rd impellers help keep the pump primed in areated water.

The Hami 212 is a single stage pump but more or a axial style pump it only uses one impeller to draw water into the pump but dosen't compress it, it just shoves the water through like a multistage pump. The 212 gives the best of both worlds, it picks up heavy loads like a 3 stage, doesn't cavitate as easily as a single stage, slow speed docking is great like a 3 stage, only has 1 moving impeller to replace when you ding it up.

I have owned a kodiak 3 stage, a berkeley, a american turbine sd309, and now own a hami 212, and the 212 hands down meets my boating needs better than the rest.

Stid2677 if you have a 460 and a berkeley jet I would estimate 13 to 15 gph moderatly loaded if not a tad bit more, that T-jet with a carbed 460 and matched to a berk pump is not an efficiant package. I bet the boat is a beaut, but just not as efficiant as a fuel injected motor coupled to a 212.

CaptNemo I have the same boat as you with the same motor pump package, I run about 8 to 10gph moderatly loaded at 3200 to 3400rpm. I would take dupont's suggestion on getting your impellers looked at, What rpm do you cruise at?

RECRE8R,
    I usually cruise @ 3200-3300rpm, a little more when loaded. Only have 75 hours on 2006 model. It has all been on the Big Su so maybe that silt is eating me up, I'll have to check it out. Do you know what the impeller to cone clearance should be? Appreciate the info. CN

Default Hami 211 jet

RECRE8R
    Have you any experience with or knowledge about the Hami 211 jet with a Kodiak 454. Specifically load hauling capacity and fuel use for a 24 boat. I just installed a new FlowScan but have not been in the water yet to see how much fuel I am burning, but I am going to put it to the test this time home hauling drums of water around and checking out what kind of burn rate to expect so I will have good numbers before my hunt this fall.
    Thanks
    Will

Will
    Look at turning your nozzle over.....especially if feel like you are pushing on the nose. Can be done in under 30 minutes. It's not a huge improvement but will help on step for economy. This will also make it neccessary to keep more gear forward.