Thread: Homer charter and lodging advice

Default Homer charter and lodging advice

My wife and I are heading down to Homer in a couple of weeks. Anyone know of any good deals on a place to stay? I'm going to jump a charter if the weather agrees. I'd prefer a but/king combo. Any recommendations?

Thanks
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

I've fished with Richard Baltzer the past 4 or 5 years in May. When I was researching for the better salmon guides out of Homer, he was recommended. I've been more than satisfied over the years, and always do combo trips. Richard is one of the few who keeps his boat in the water all year, and targets the kings and halibut through the winter. fishhomer.com is his webpage. I'll be fishing with him next Saturday, weather permitting. Everything goes up in a week or two as far as lodging goes. Here's a link if you want to phone shop: http://www.homeralaska.org/visitHome...mmodations.htm
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

trophy lodge is a little out of town but rates are reasonable. I havent actually seen the place yet myself but I will be spending the summer there. Willy at reel fun charters is supposed to be good for combo trips. Call Diane at Homer Ocean Charters at 800-426-6212.

Default Anchor River Lodge

A beautiful place in Anchor Point right on the bluff with reasonable prices that include breakfast. Several great charters launch right there off the beach tractor launch. Try O'Fish'ial, Sparechange or Goodtime charters.

Not sure what their regular rates are, but you just can't beat staying at The Land's End.

Default I Agree

I just got back from a few days in Homer, the Lands End was a great place to stay, you can't beat the view! While I was out on the Halibut/Salmon Charter, my sister and her kids seen some Orcas right out of the Hotel Window, maybe only 200 yards away. I would definently recomend going with Captain Phil on the Sea Wolf. It is a nice 30 footer with a wide beam and plenty of room for fishing out of the back of the boat. He books out of Inlet charters, just call ahead and request his boat. Good Luck! Here is the Vid from the Charter.

http://www.youtube.com/growden1
    http://www.youtube.com/growden1

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Default Try this place

Phish finder: I found the Land End to be a bit pricey.

You might consider this place:

http://www.spruceacrecabins.com/

I stayed there in August 2007. It was a terrific place to stay for a week. Clare and Peter are great hosts and they have a beautiful place just outside Homer. You won't be disappointed. Peter also has his own fishing charter if you're interested in finding some salmon or halibut. Good luck.

Thanks for the replies. One of my wife's friends recommended getting a cabin from Seaside Farms. My wife's pretty liberal and decided that would be a good place for her and our son to goof off while I was fishing.

I'm calling around now to see if I can get a spot on a combo trip.

Phish Finder: I just got back from a weekend trip to Homer. Fished with Richard Baltzer and got one king and three of us got our limits of halibut. Nothing big, but up to 25 lbs. www.fishhomer.com if you're interested...
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

I guess I should post a trip report for folks that haven't been to Homer much. I fished with Captain Greg yesterday. He runs a 31' older Chris Craft called the Tomahawk II. He was great to talk to and ran the charter according to our wants and the weather. I did a combo with two other folks I didn't know from Ocala, Fl (really nice folks). Captain Greg was great with interesting conversation, excellent boating skills, and a sturdy and safe vessel. We didn't have much luck fishing kings but the weather wasn't optimal. Around 11:15AM we switched from Kings to Halibut.

He guaged our ability to handle slightly rougher water (4-6 with 30knot winds) and we as a group elected to try it out deeper instead of heading for the kelp. We went out about 12-13 miles from the spit and started catching chickens pretty quickly. The lady on the boat had the first fish in about 5 minutes. Captain Greg kept the lines handled well and maintained a pleasant boat during the entire outing. We stayed until we had our limit of Halibut. I released quite a few halibites and some sandwich fish (10-15 lbers.) He kept us out until we were happy with our fish and had them in the hold.

The fishing was great fun and I ended up being the last to limit out. I put 5 grey cod ( 8-15lbs.) in the boat waiting for a decent halibut. After we all limited with acceptable fish, we headed back to the dock. The wind died down and we had a pleasant ride back to Homer, stopping to photograph the groups of Sea Otters on the way.

Captain Greg had great communication skills with everyone and kept in close contact with the other 2 boats that were out fishing. He took the time to walk me through the anchor pulling process using a buoy (great to see first hand) and every other thing I had a question about (rigging tackle, reel selection, etc...)

I will use him again.

The lodging situation was bizarre. We showed up at Seaside Farms for the cabin. It was in a shambles with an outhouse and no water. We left and got a room at the Ocean Shores. This ended up being a great bonus as my 11 month old son got to run barefoot in the sand on the beach. It was a great place for us to stay.

For dining in Homer, Crabbie's is a joke. Crabbie's provided me with the first experience of spending $80 in a joint with country music and leaving hungry and not intoxicated. I did have a successful dining experience on the spit at the BBQ joint. It's an attempt to make Tennessee style BBQ in Alaska. The pulled pork and chicken were really good (I'm from Georgia and have been eating BBQ my whole life). The sauce is vinegar based with 4 options (mild, hot, xxx, and bourbon). The bourbon sauce is great for pulled pork and the hot was right on with the chicken.

All in all, I want to go fishing again right now.

Summation:

Recommendations: BBQ at the place on the spit and Captain Greg's Charters

Not recommended: Seaside Farms and Crabbie's

Mindful how you travel,
    Jamie