Thread: Carrying through Canada

Default Carrying through Canada

This has probably been addressed a million times but I'm new to the handgun portion of this forum and need advice. I'm retiring from the military and heading to MN. Will head through Canada enroute to Haines. Dont want to go all the way through the states without my weapon. last time I checked you could get by if your barrel length was greater then 4 inches. Just got back from the outdoor sportsman where they tell me NO handguns are allowed through....any thoughts? Thinking of 2 day fed exing it to my hotel in Haines...not sure if that is kosher...any advice will be greatly appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by pitstaff View Post
    This has probably been addressed a million times but I'm new to the handgun portion of this forum and need advice. I'm retiring from the military and heading to MN. Will head through Canada enroute to Haines. Dont want to go all the way through the states without my weapon. last time I checked you could get by if your barrel length was greater then 4 inches. Just got back from the outdoor sportsman where they tell me NO handguns are allowed through....
    Though not technically correct, for all intents and purposes that is true. You need prior written approval (submitted and delivered weeks in advance) stating your reason for transporting the handgun and absolutely no guarantee of approval.

Default Handguns canada

You can transport handguns through canada but there is a lot of red tape. I tryed a year in advance and was denied after 9 months of paper pushing. Shipping threw fed ex ups etc. Is not legal but it has been done on the sly. Your best bet to legally get your gun through is to ship from a dealer up here to one in washington state or were ever you are crossing back into the usa. I think it cost me $30-$40 plus shipping for to guns a couple years back.the canadiens confiscated my sons youth rifle because the barrell was to short when we came through so dont try to sneak, its not worth it.

Rest assured though there are hundreds if not thousands of people packin handguns in Canada...Just remember the gang wars that were going on for drug turff etc...

I take it that you will be taking the ferry from Haines down to the lower 48. I don't know of any FFL dealers in Haines, but I am sure there are several in Washington State that you could ship to. Simply contact them and ship your handgun to them. Pick it up on your way through after getting off the ferry.

Here is a list of FFL dealers from GunBroker.com that will do transfers...the list is HUGE.. http://gunbroker.com/User/FFLByState.asp

Default Imperial Federal Government

The IFG will not allow you to FEDEX/UPS/USPS your gun to your Hotel Room or to anyone else including yourself who doesn't possess an FFL. Doing so will result in the wrath of BATF (Basstards, ********s, Tyrants and Fornicators). Best bet is have it shipped with your household goods, if not mail to an FFL dealer at your L48 destination and pay him for his troubles.

Slim chance of getting approved to carry it through Canada. Mebbe take a little $$$ and buy one in Haines on your way out? Or Washington, but I don't know the residence requirements for gun purchasing there. Or find an FFL there in Haines and send one down ahead of time.

Default Shipment of firearms per BATFE

Following is from the BATFE's frequently asked question section with specific references noted. I personally wouldn't bother trying to get permission to carry through Canada. It likely ain't gonna happen for handguns, but your long guns can travel through with the appropriate paperwork and fees....of particular interest in your case is item (B9).
    Also, if you try to ship through one of the contract carriers (ie FedEx, UPS), most of their 'stores' will refuse to take them. You'll have to package them yourself and present them directly at the shipping point and NOT their retail outlet. The way I read B9, you could, under the 'other lawful use' part, ship from where you're at, to a contact in Haines or Seattle, addressed to yourself care of John Doe, and pick it up there. If you took possession in Haines, and you stayed on the Alaska Maritime Highway vessel (subject to THEIR regs, probably same as checked airline baggage), and not one of the Canadian lines, and didn't debark in Canada with the handgun, you'd be okay.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(B7) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?[Back]
    A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier? [Back]

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? [Back]

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

(B10) May a person who is relocating out of State move firearms with other household goods? [Back]

Yes. A person who lawfully possesses a firearm may transport or ship the firearm interstate when changing his or her State of residence.

Certain NFA firearms must have prior approval from the Bureau of ATF before they may be moved interstate. The person must notify the mover that firearms are being transported. He or she should also check State and local laws where relocating to ensure that movement of firearms into the new State does not violate any State law or local ordinance.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(4) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.28 and 478.31]

Default No Go

I'm a Passport Agent and work at Ft Rich. You CAN NOT take handguns into Canada under your circumstances. I won't bother going into the details, it would take too long. We just had a Soldier come to Ft Rich and while stopped at the border, they searched his vehicle. Of course they asked him if he had any weapons and he said no. Well, he forgot that he left his Glock in a compartment in the back of his Jeep. He was arrested, detained, questioned, etc...To make a long story short, it cost him $1,500 before he left. This did not include what it was going to cost him to retain a lawyer to represent him when his case went to court. Also, if you have been convicted of even minor offenses within the last 5 years they may not let you into the country. Especially if you have a DUI arrest. The US shares it's criminal database with Canada and THEY DO CHECK. It doesn't matter if you are driving or not, they will not let you into the country. You are taking a big risk if you tell them you don't have any handguns and they search your vehicle, and I'm here to tell you they do a thorough search. Just FYI...

Default Alrighty

I just moved to the fairbanks area in May. I started the paperwork to carry an array of firearms with me, after a few weeks dealing with Canadian customs I found out no matter what paperwork you have approved they can deny you acess for any reason at the border. I had to ship all semi clip fed rifles, all pistols and anything that looks assult(even pump shotguns with a pistol grip). Don't even try AKs or ARs. Remember that the approval comes from a local canadian judge in the area that you cross the border and the border customs doesn't work under their juridiction. I will personally ship my firearms beforehand and reccomend the same to anyone that ask me. I know someone thinks that i must've had something on my record but nope I am clean as can be they just hasseled the crap out of me for a couple of hours and for the shotgun i got to keep had to pay a canadian transport fee and register it with the US customs.

Default handgun shipping

You cannot ship a handgun to a dealer in another state other then your own and pick it up when it arrives there without residency proof; driver's license, state ID or somesuch. You also would have to do paperwork at that dealer if you did have ID. If you plan to live in that state, then no problem. Yeah, you can get sneaky, sending your pieces illegally, but except for feeling like a heroic outlaw, is it worth the potential problems?

Here you go.. Pick it up on your way through Washington.. http://www.pennysaverusa.com/info/sh...3803871309AMCL

Cool yes, it can be done

I moved back here two years ago. I had the foresight to get the paperwork started one year in advance. I had to get approved for each providence I went thru and seperate approval for the border crossing. I brought 6 handguns ( including semi autos ) an AR-15, a pistol grip shotgun, an SKS, and several other long rifles. I had to have a trigger lock on each weapon and had them in my trailer. My two Glocks had to be shipped up here as the barrels were less than 4 inchs.
    If you don't have time to get everything done correctly, the next best way is to ship them from dealer to dealer. If you have handguns, the only way you can recieve them back is in your home state.
    Hope this helps you.

Ship your gun to the Alaska Sports Shop in Haines. Doug Olerud will be glad to help you there.

well if you have a spouse or some one making the trip with you you can have them fly with it checked to haynes and then meet them and the fire arm there perfectly legal as long as you meet all the TSA's requirements.
    Might be a little spendy but i know it can be done becasue i have flown with firearms before and not really a big deal.