Thread: Deep Fried Dogfish!

Default Deep Fried Dogfish!

Okay, I have run 77 charters so far this year and probably caught 2000 dogfish.

Day before yesterday I couldn't take it anymore, so I killed one as part of my two shark annual bag limit. I gutted it and put it on ice. I removed the back bone at the dock and removed the skin. The fillets looked preaty nasty. I soaked them in whole milk for the night and had my wife batter dip and deep fry the little SOB.

To my surprise, the **** dogfish tasted good. I think if you mixed rockfish, lingcod and dogfish together into a fish fry, the dogfish would win in the taste department. the texture was like a cross between a small halibut and a blackcod. nice flavor and oh is it satisfying eating one of them!

Show no mercy guys, the gloves are off! catch um, kill um and eat um.
    Limit one per day, two per year......

Good luck at the derby!

It's interesting that you are the 3 person that says they are good. I do love mako and black tip but these little guys don't appeal to me. I took the gloves off a month ago with these guys. Them and the arrow tooth have my fun meter peged.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Funny you should mention this ..

Not last week, but the previous one, we were blown off the water out of Homer. (Anyone who was down there knows which weekend I am referring to). Having nothing better to do, my wife and I 'toured' Homer. One of the places we stopped was the new (i know i am going to get this wrong) "migratory birds and ocean life" center. It was free admission, so we went in. It was a pretty neat place. They had one of the science labs open and were in the process of dissecting a Spiny Dogfish. The fish and game biologist who was doing the dissection said: These are commercially caught and are primarily used over in England as the main ingredient in Fish-n-chips. Go figure.

-- Gambler

Does the BoF have the authority to raise the bag limit on Dogs, maybe 1 or 2 per day? I assume the 1 per day 2 per year is in place for the larger salmon shark. Maybe one per day under 40" or so, or whatever those dogs are, seems like they are all similar in size.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambler
    The fish and game biologist who was doing the dissection said: These are commercially caught and are primarily used over in England as the main ingredient in Fish-n-chips. Go figure.

-- Gambler
    Yup. Read the same thing in a book recently. Good read actually: "Cod: Biography of the fish that changed the world"

Check it out if you're into fishing/nonfiction

Default Submit a proposal

Yukon,
    It wouldn't be a bad idea if someone would submit a regulation change to BoF. That would be the only way to get them to change the bag limits.

Default Eating dogfish

It would be nice if F&G would separate dogfish from salmon shark limit wise. A two fish per year limit on salmon shark a year is plenty but seems overkill on dogfish.

Some excerpts from a 1982, Virginia Institute of Marine Science, Marine Bulletin:

Dogfish, with close relatives in temperate waters the world around, have long been sought as a principal food fish elsewhere, but they are still a new seafood item to the somewhat hesitant American consumer. The meat is delicious --firm, white, boneless and bland. It goes well with a wide variety of sauces, a characteristic which European chefs have long applauded. Quality of the meat hinges directly to freshness.

"We made mistakes in handling dogfish in the beginning," Propst said, "no one realized what it took to insure a premium quality product. What it takes is fast processing, with emphasis on keeping the product cold."

"We maintain tight quality control," he said, "keeping the fish cold all the way." At the end of the processing line, all the parts are boxed and go into a blast cold room that takes the temperature down to minus 40 degrees F. This assures our customers the very best in flavor. We also have to show certified proof that there is no trace of ammonia or unacceptable mercury levels. This is a standard quality control practice for products shipped to overseas markets. On top of that, we have to certify that the meat is maintained below 0 degrees F. in transit. Europeans have been eating spiny dogfish for a long time, and they know what they are buying when it comes to quality."

Wray said that nearly all the parts of a dogfish have a market. Much of the processed meat goes to Europe. In England, the skinned "backs" (main fish carcasses) are used in the preparation of the traditional "Fish 'n' chips." Bellies go to Germany and Belgium for smoking, where they are relished with gusto as snacks, much as we Americans eat our pretzels and potato chips. Skin-on backs are shipped to Italy and Spain where they are steaked and fried in olive oil. Fins and tails are in demand in Germany for shark-fin soup.