Thread: Yamaha 60/50 hp conversion for Kenai ??

Anchorage, Alaska

Default Yamaha 60/50 hp conversion for Kenai ??

This was talked about before but whats the latest information on this?? Thanks

Default No 60's

They won't allow a 60 hp detuned. I think the reason is that there are so many 50's out there. I think they are worried about people not detuning them and just slapping a sticker on them. Sorry for the bad news.

Is this for real? Whats the difference between detuned 40, detuned 50, and detuned 60? 50 horse is 50 horse no matter how you arrive there.

Because it would make too much sense. My neighbor has a 18' Alumaweld that would do so much better with a 60 hp when/ if he goes out in the salt water. What is the difference in cowling size? Maybe you need to special order one.

The 60 to 50 horse is a viable option, I own one. The cowling is the same. The difference is the CDI and a restrictor plate in the intake. I up-tuned my 50 to a 60 because I never go on the river. I hope our local lawmakers are not going to be so picky as to not allow a detuned 60. As I mentioned above, it was allowed before. We already have a lot of two stroke owners that I feel are getting a bad rap, which really pi$$es me off (i'm not one of them)!

Yah, I'm buying a 16' sled and it has a 1987 40 hp detuned, so I get to up grade right away. Boat is 3 G's and the new motor is close to 6G's. Just to go chase a salmon once and a while. I guess some one needs to keep the motor companies in business. I was just hoping it wouldn't be me. You can still run a 2 stroke on the Kenai just not the month of July. Which happens to be the month that I can use the river the most. Go figure.