Thread: Ti Goat 8.6 and stove

Default Ti Goat 8.6 and stove

Hi

I got my new tent and stove last week. It is a Titanium Goat Vertex 8.6 and their cylinder stove. I threw it up real quick to get the seams sealed and the stove broke in before my brown bear hunt. The directions on both the stove and the tent left a little to be desired but not too bad to figure out. So far I like what I see but the real test will be 10 days in the rain forest. the stove is a little small for the 8.6 and they told me that when I ordered. I was just looking for something to dry out clothes and take the morning chill off. It will more than do that even in this big tent. I am making a light weight cook top for the stove and will post a pic as soon as it is done. I am also working on some drying racks for the pole. This is a very well made tent with top of the line workmanship. The entire setup weighs in at 9 pounds. Here are a few pics so far

Woody

Nice looking set up. Where did you purchase it? Prices? Thanks

Hey Woody, ya gonna haul all that dry wood down to Bakewell?

ps. good looking tent, but now without a floor you'll also be able to count the salamanders crawling around thru the marshes! :eek
    Last edited by kingfisherktn; 05-05-2008 at 06:48. Reason: added info

this is where I got the tent http://www.titaniumgoat.com/aboutus.html

Dean I was counting on you to bring me fire wood as I needed it!!!

the nice thing about the wood is how small the sticks are. you gather wood about the size of your thumb. if you can't break it over your knee it is too big no saw needed. gather all the wood you will need for a few days stack it up around the stove and throw in a few charcoal bricketts and the wood dries up in a hurry.

Default Tipi and stove: How was it?

Researching tipis - wondered how your TiGoat and cyl stove performed.

If you Google Ti Goat Vertex you'll come across posts from smwwoody on a few other forums. He talks more about the tent on those other forums. I PM'd him on this site and he never responded, so I don't think he visits here too often.

I ended up buying the same tent and it will be here in a couple of weeks. Depending on when you buy, I may be able to give you a review.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Default Ti Goat and stove...from Google

Thanks, Kay9Cop. Good idea.

From Google, I read Mark Richards' review - a good one and during winter use.

Smwwoody might have sold this tent (http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...899#post395899). Still looks like a great solution to weight/wind/warmth issues though.

Googling also discovered an excellent review of Ti G's cylinder stove at http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2177992): good tips for users of this stove, esp under "Further testing results".

The stoves are very light, down to 1-2 lbs. Looks like this tent depends on sides pitched tight - for best resistance to wind deflection. Plenty of satisfied Alaska users.